Personal experience with bartholin removal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have been suffering for 8 years now, and after multiple trips to the ER, having to go through the excruciating lancing and catheter insertions that always fall out, then a marsupialization, only to have the damn thing still come back every few months, I have been on physical, mental and emotional roller coaster. 

I'm Canadian. Our healthcare system has it's pros and cons. But I have really lost confidence in the abilities of any of the OBs I have seen since each has handed my situation off to the next. I have not received a clear answer on the removal of the entire gland. I've read horror stories as well as 1 or 2 successful accounts of those who have gotten it done. There seems to be very little understanding of this condition where it pertains to multiple reoccurrences. My doctor told me to go back to the ER when I feel another one coming on (not to wait until it gets unbearable) and whoever is on call will perform the excision. Two days ago I went into emergency, waited 8 hours, gave them my story (again) only to be told they were going to lance it once again and there was no possibility of getting the surgery because it was "not an emergency". I refused. So now, two days later I am in excruciating pain, waiting for my doctor's clinic to open tomorrow, to go back to the clinic where I was originally told nothing could be done. 

I'm caught in a loophole. The sitzing, the lancing, the marsupialization, everything seems to be a bandaid solution to a bigger problem. I have been told that the only time the surgery can be performed is during an episode. My doctor is NEVER THERE when it happens or I am travelling (which is usually the case). So what do I do?? I am frustrated and in so much pain. I can't find a doctor who cares to help me. I am willing to pay if necessary, to find someone abroad if that is what I need to do. If anyone has a good lead I am all ears. Thanks for listening!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's terrible sad my last two were nowhere near as excruciating as my first. I have had actually had 4 but one flared,burst and went down in one night!! So I don't count it as my other 3 which lasted around 3 weeks! I have always waited it out and desperately read every forum on the web! Don't be fooled into that so called "miracle cure" it's basically an email print telling you to take Sillica supplements and other health products. Hot as I can stand salt and tea tree oil bath along with witch hazel baths. and applying magnesium sulphate helps mine burst on there own. Or lion ointment I have never had one lanced I'm too much of a wimp doctors are useless when it comes to bartholins cysts. 
    • Posted

hi dear iam a new member and i just read u said u had 4 BC and you said :  but one flared,burst and went down in one night!!

did you had some operation or drain the bartholin cysts? because i had one operation to drain it on the two sides of the vigina (labia) and after the two cuts healed i start to have on the place of the cut or surgery a spot or cyst filled with mucus (the lubricant of the vigina) and this filled each time am aroused or get involved with my husband.it becomes full swollen and painful ,and it stays fews days and it burts out.

please let me know if you experience the same.thanks in advance

• Posted

Hi Sister,

I know the feeling.  I am sure you have had many tears as I have too.  I have had mine for 10 years on and off.  I was going to ER quite a bit at the start and decided I cant live like this.  Doctors treat the situation not the problem.  I treat it naturally and now have a normal life...yay!  When it comes up I use silica spray directly onto it, it goes away in no time.  Not all silicas work, you need the right brand.  Private message me if you want the name.  I cant display on forum as they will remove.  Yes you need a different doctor who has heart and can understand.  Do try the natural path if you havent.  Then you are in control not some slack medical people.  You will get ontop of it.  Yes the marsupialization...what a joke.  Why do they do it, it doesnt seem to work, maybe for a small few.  Didnt for me.  Sending you a hug smile

• Posted

I am so sorry to read your experiences. I agree that the psychological trauma caused by this complaint is not understood, and usually dismissed. I can't offer any hope re gland removal. I have had my Bartholin's gland "removed" twice, and I am still suffering a constant, unpleasant discharge. Do make sure, if you go this route, that you have a gynaecologist who listens to you and explains the risks. It might be owrth trying to find out their success rate. It is a very unpleasant operation for the patient - and the surgeon will annoy you by describing it as a "minor" procedure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.