Personal experiences on sertraline?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, this is my first time on antidepressants. I've felt low on and off for 5 years (since my daughter was born) however the past 2 years have gotten progressively worse. I finally went to the drs who prescribed me 50mg sertraline. This was my bigger fear as I didn't want pills.

Started taking them today and had really bad nausea, head ache, tiredness and very spaced out. I'm panicking I've made the wrong decision and I could of got by without them. I suffer really bad with self esteem, over thinking to a stupid amount, panicky a lot of the time and just generally feeling low. Suppose I just want a bit of reassurance and personal experiences.

Thanks

4 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It usually is the best mess for anxiety. It has helped so many balance the brain chemistry. Give it at least a few weeks to become blood level. Also helps with anxiety is MINDFULNESS see on you tube. I love it gives the power back to believe in ourself and become stronger and learning about our busy minds that need to be quiet and stop running 100 miles per hour. Slow down the thought process which leads to panic and negativity.appreciate this minute,  be grateful and move slower, confidence will be a good experience in the results of mindfulness.😃

• Posted

HI there, sorry to hear your not feeling great just now, ive had anxiety problem ps since i can remember (im 35 now) and i too fell out of balance after my little ray of sunshine came along. I struggled with the depression for 4 years and the doctor persuaded me to take amitriptyline in a low dose. Id been on them just over a month and by christmas time i had the courage to go into the city and shop for the first time in years, everything just seems less daunting and i dont over think things anymore, what i also tried to do was think about what chilled me out before life got turned upside down by motherhood, so think on it and try to make time for yourself where you can, stick your headphones on and let your favourite music help you get through your housework for an hour, write down your plans one day at a time, and tick them off once done, its quite uplifting, how about studying an interest of yours whilst kid is at school, i dont know what your personal situation is but “me time” is essential.  You need to remind yourself that you arent just here to serve, your kid will get older and things will become easier I promise. If you dont want to be alone with your thoughts, go out and be productive, even if its means a walk around the park, taking photos of flowers or clouds, the best medicine for a mind that overthinks, is organisation and distraction, at your level. I hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

I'm happy to hear how well it has worked for you.

I never used to have any problems with feeling down etc when I was young, that being said I'm only 25 now. I think I just let everything build up until I could no longer deal at all.

I actually do to college and do a 2 day a week placement at a school. Luckily I've been able to keep that up but it all only really came to a head a couple of weeks ago so I'm still off on Xmas holI days atm.

I just wish I'd sought help sooner. Just really hope the meds are worth it.

Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Hey thats great that you are keeping on top of your studies, i hope the side effect settle down soon, and you know if its not working they can try you on something else, you sond like youve got a sensible head on your shoulders so just try to remember that it wont feel like this forever

all th best xx

• Posted

Hi, I am on Sertraline as well. I was on Lexapro and Celexa before and felt (a little bit) better but Sertraline (Zoloft) has really helped me. It mixes well with my “assortment “ (haha) of medications and I have absolutely no issues with it. It can realistically take years to find the right mix of meds for a person. It did for me. It sounds like this med has too many bad side effects for you, and I’d recommend you try another one. Take good care! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.