Personal experiences taking venlaflaxine and drinking alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

New to venlaflaxine 37.5 twice a day previously on citralopram 40 . I'm going to a wedding and worried what the effects of alcohol is like with venlaflaxine .

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria-

I have been on Effexor for 20 years (I am about to start weaning off).  I have drank from when I was low dose (75mg) to high dose. (right now I'm taking 300mg XR) and I have never had a problem with mixing alcohol.  However I have a very high tolerance (it's inherited-LOL).  To be safe, I would have a glass of wine or two at home to see how you react.  I really think it varies person to person, and it's better to slur your words at home before doing at an event.  That is such a low dose I doubt you'd have problem-and I just checked my bottle and there is no alcohol warning.  But I would pick up a bottle of wine, have a glass at home first.  If you don't mind me asking, what are you taking Effexor for?

As a 20 year patient, feel free to touch base with me if you have questions!!

Kirsten

• Posted

I was originally on fluoxetine from 2000 for 6 yrs for depression but then I had alot of traumatic events both myself and my son nearly died on 3 separate occasions all pregnancy related my son was born very early and stopped breathing so had to resuscitate him doctors said if I hadn't noticed it would of been cot death after that he had sepsis and was in intensive care then had to further ops for premature related things as this was happening I had 2 severe hemorrhage and needed life saving ops. After the I was diagnosed with anxiety and PTSD. I was changed to citralopram 40 I was doi g well and discussed coming off altogether after 4 yrs then I had a ruptured eptopic pregnancy and needed life saving surgery once again so went backwards. Citralapram was good but for last few years I keep having major anxiety so doc felt it weren't working anymore hence the change. I have had CBT and EMDR too.

• Posted

For me me wasn't so much the interaction of drugs and alcohol as the fact that afte a few drinks my mood seemed to take a real dip. Enjoy the wedding x 

• Posted

Well personally I wouldn't risk alcohol since even a small amount has an exaggerated effect on me. But there are plenty of non-alcoholic drinks you can enjoy. Just my opinion of course!

• Posted

Hi Victoria- I've given up drinking alcohol completely since being on venlafaxine. I found that whenever I drank whilst taking the drug, I would get drunk much quicker, and would also have a much more severe hangover the following day. It also made me vomit the next day after mixing my drugs with even a small amount of alcohol, and on the worst occasion I was vomiting until 9pm the day after drinking. 

Obviously this may not happen with you, I'm on a much higher dosage of Ven (300mg) which may be why mixing with alcohol caused such a horrible reaction with me. 

I'd advise erring on the side of caution, and as others have suggested, perhaps testing your limits at home before the wedding. 

Hope the wedding goes ok!

• Posted

I am on 300mg and drink at the moment. I don't notice a big interaction at all. Of course alcohol makes many mental health problems worse, especially depression so stopping drinking might not be a ad idea. I stopped for a year and then started again. I am now planning to stop again but have some personal issues I want to get out of the way first.

BW, BM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.