Personal health budget plan

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently read about the personal health budget plan it says to contact your GP tabout this plan but my GP does not know of this plan does anyone know about the plan and is it available in Cheshire.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You can opt in or opt out of hospitals, nurses etc having access to your medical records

Personally I feel the more info hospitals, nurses etc have the quicker they can help you, so I would say its tp your advantage to opt in

Hope it helps. Xx

• Posted

Hi Linda 

thank you for your reply ,but I think it's so thin else that I was looking at 

its a personal budget plan where money is set a side to help with health care like Alternative treatment and such 

I've has 3 major back operation and they won't operate any more 

I'm havering spinal injections every 6 months sometimes longer if the list is big in the interim I tried  acupuncture which did help until the next trip to the pain clinic ,but it's expensive the course was over £500 

so hen I read on the patience access site about personal budget plan I thought that it sounded like that was the financial help I needed

thanks anyway 

Stuart xx

• Posted

Hi Stuart,

It is probably the trial for the NHS Personal Care Plan. Certain people are being chosen from each surgery, not all surgeries are running it, it depends if it was picked in the 35% of the surgeries in the UK.

A form has to be filled in by your doctor, and it takes an extended appointment of 15 minutes to complete. Basically, it is to give the hospital, paramedics and doctors access to your health records.

The aim of it is to reduce the time and place people more prone to hospital access via ambulance, without a paramedic having to ask you or anyone that you live with what ailments you suffer from. They can call up the information on your medications, symptoms of prior problems etc without trying to ask you or a partner.

So, if a hospital receives a A & E call, they can determine if an ambulance or paramedic is required, saving time and unwanted callouts. If its a matter that a paramedic can attend to and sort within an hour then they do not despatch an ambulance when it could be doing another call more severe. Unless the paramedic says he requires an "override" or "code blue".

I've been on the plan for the last 2 months roughly, its already avoided 2 ambulance visits, so it does work. It is intended for people that spend more time in hospitals than a normal person would with a long time illness.

A better explanation is here:

A personal care plan is a plan developed by you and your healthcare professional that contains information about your health, your lifestyle and your options for treatment or care. It addresses your personal situation as a whole, recognising that you have needs, not just medical needs, that affect your total health and wellbeing. 

Your Health Care Professional can be your doctor or a close friend, it's your choice. I only found out when I had a letter in the post asking for me to make an Extended Appointment (15 minutes). I did check on this site, but it's probably not listed yet because it is only on a Government Trial.

I did run a check to see if your area is covered, but it seems to be down to towns, I come under Gloucester.

Hope that explains what it is and why only a few are available at the moment.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les

thank you for your reply ,but I think it's so thin else that I was looking at 

its a personal budget plan where money is set a side to help with health care like Alternative treatment and such 

I've has 3 major back operation and they won't operate any more 

I'm havering spinal injections every 6 months sometimes longer if the list is big in the interim I tried  acupuncture which did help until the next trip to the pain clinic ,but it's expensive the course was over £500 

so hen I read on the patience access site about personal budget plan I thought that it sounded like that was the financial help I needed

thanks anyway 

​Stuart 

• Posted

Hi Stuart,

You are quite right about personal health budgets (Linda and Les are talking about something else) but at the moment only people eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC)who have very complex, long term health conditions have the right to have a personal health budget (it's about 60,000 people in England). As most people CHC eligible are cared for at home (often round the clock) they don't always have much contact with their GP, so it would usually be their care co-ordinator that would be the first point of contact.

Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.