Personal PAE at UNC Experience

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Well as promised here is the start of my weekly documentation of the results of my PAE procedure. I had it last Tuesday (08/09/16) at UNC in Chapel Hill NC by Dr. Isaacson and his great staff. The prep and procedure were totally painless - it is true! I am a cowardly lion when it comes to anything medical but all the pre-procedure worries were in my head and unjustified. The only scary part was being wheeled into the procedure room but once there my high-tech nerdness took over at seeing all the 24th century Star Trek equipment and asking all about it.

I had expected a lot of post-procedure pain, especially with my 300gm prostate dying off but I have had NO pain at all or any discomfort whatsoever - no blood in the urine, no constipation, even the small incission in my left wrist and the IV spot in my right hand have heeled. True I have been on heavy duty drugs ( prednisone; heavy ibuprofen; antibiotics ) so these could mask the discomfort. These drugs finish tomorrow (Tues) so I'll after that. My peeing symptoms are better but that could just be the heavy inflammatories to keep my urethra open. Over the past month I had to self-cath a few times due to AUR. But I opted to take prednisone during the 3 weeks leading up to the PAE instead to keep me open.

Here's a brief summary of my BPH. I am 67 and otherwise ok. I started BPH symptoms 20 years ago and dealt with it the usual way until 2003 when I started taking alpha-blockers ( alfusozin). From 2005 to 2011 I added Proscar and then switched to Avodart until the present. The 5-alpha reducatse inhibitors destroyed my quality of life but kept me peeing. My prostate grew from 150 to 300 gms during the past 5 years but my saving grace is no median lobe or bladder obstruction. My current PVR is 350ml.

I refused to let my uro here butcher me with a turp or prostatectomy, but he did get to do 3 TRUS needle biopsies over the years, all of which were negative though he was quick to warn me that there must be PCa hiding in there somewhere.

I do hope the PAE works for me so I don't need a life-altering surgery. Even a 10% size reduction would really open up my flow. Right now it is too soon to tell.

I also had 2 liquid biopsies ( MiPS and Apifiny tests) for PCa. These are urine and blood tests that look at the molecular level for indications of PCa - my tests were extremely low. Also while my PSA is 12 now, it is the psa density that is important and again mine is very low. I mention all this because it is really important to eliminate PCa before focusing on BPH.

Dr. Isaacson and his staff were the best I have ever seen. He doesn't make you come in the day before for MRIs and CT scans since his new equipment allows him to see all the arteries and decide how to proceed realtime. Also, if your hand arterial flow is good (which he tests before the procedure ), then he enters through the wrist rather than the femoral artery which will save you a lot of discomfort afterwards and is much safer. I looked at the few other IRs doing PAE in the US and concluded he was the best. The wonderful people on this forum educated me, reassured me and guided me with this decision. I hope to return the favor now to others.

So I will update here every week and let you know how I am doing. And please post here with all questions/comments. I sure hope it works, even if I have to do it again in a few years ( when it may be covered by Medicare - it cost me $6450 plus $200. for drugs). The money is well worth it to avoid what the uros have to offer.

All the best to everyone.

Neil

3 likes, 161 replies

161 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Neil I am so happy that you are doing great.  Don't let that doctor scare you that you have cancer.  He just want to get at your prostate and cut away.  Take care  ken

• Posted

I forget to tell you.  At 47 they throught I had cancer.  Had 13 needle biospy all came back clare.  The doctor then told me well be can't be sure we shour go in and cut some away.  He wanted to do a turp on me.  I told him to ge to hell There was no way.  They try to get you in there one way or another  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Thanks Ken - those uros are really nasty - mine fired me as a patient when he heard I wanted to do a PAE and not let him ruin my life. It is hard to resist these guys because they are so arrogant and forceful but I put him off for several years just knowing there was something out there better and thanks to this forum I learned about PAE and now had it done. Even if the first attempt doesn't work I will stay with Dr. Isaacson and do it again as my prostate was one of the largest ones thye embolized so maybe they need to do it twice. I will not let a uro near me again. My ex-uro never warned me about the side effects of Proscar/Avodart and for years I thought I had some mental disorder casuing weakness and depression. I hope the damage by these drugs are reversible. Meanwhile my uro gets free trips from the drug companies for peddling this poison. And in the end it never helped my BPH one bit. Good luck to you. Neil

• Posted

yes you have to watch them.  Just because there a doctor and they tell you something your suppose to go ahead and do it.  I think they get a kick nack for some of the companys.   I am so happy I have my urologist  I have had him for 2 years.  he has never force me to do anything.  He is all ways learning new things to help men out.  He still does the turp but not many.  He said that if that is the only way they he can help then he will ( if the medien lobe is in the bladder then he has to go in and clear it out )  But he will try everything he knows before that..Take care  Ken   
    • Posted

Neil      I'm glad that you waited and picked the PAE.  it will do the same thing for you without distroying the prostate and no side effect.  I have a very good urologist he as told me that he does not do to many of the Turp  procedure or any of the others that will give a man problem with his sex life.  His a urologist and and he deal with male fertility no matter what age.   Some like to push the turp because they get paid for it.  I would not trust any doctor that has a aid in his office for it...Take care  Ken  

• Posted

Neil,  I guess the money is in the surgery.  It's a conflict of interest.  I can see the majority of uro's would look out for their best interest, instead of the patient.  They probably rationalize their reason for surgery, instead of say CIC's.  No money, in self-cathing, maybe except for the referral to the companies that manufacture the catheters...I really don't know.

• Posted

That is why men have to stick together and say NO to surgery and do what you feel is right for you not the doctor.  If you search you can find the right procedure for you.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Neil,  we are the same age. I"ve been suffering with  prostate problems for around 12 years. Yesterday, I had to go in to the emergency room, because my catheter got clogged. The nurse, removed to old catheter, and replaced it with a new one, and I am fine now. My problem, is I can't void on my own.  I have to wear a catheter all the time.  My prostate used to be pretty large, 141 grams. After the turp, it was 101 grams...still  huge. I've never heard of the procedure that you did. Looking forward on your weekly report.  Good luck, and may you have a great flow!!!

• Posted

Hi Dennis,

Not sure if you're interested in learning more about PAE. If you are, there's another discussion (Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??) in this forum that has over 1200 posts. Very informative.

• Posted

Dennis  It is a shame the a procrdure that was suppose to help you did not work and you have to where a catheter.  Have you tryed CIC and do it yourself.  If you can it would give you move freedom.    Good luck  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Dennis - I also never heard of PAE before I found this forum which I now believe may have saved my life. The idea behind PAE is to just cut off part of the arterial blood supply to the prostate in the hope of shrinking it so it no longer obstructs our ability to pee. There is no surgery or going anywhere near the prostate. The doctors are called Interventional Radiologists (IR). They just use a fluoroscope to snake a catheter down towards the arteries that feed your prostate and then they pack those arteries with tiny beads to cutoff the blood supply. The IR usually enters the prostate artery through your femoral artery but now they also go through the wrist which is easy, safe and painless. It seemed like magic to me. I know that Dr. Ari Isaacson at UNC Chapel Hill has patients that are on permanent catheters. Maybe google him and send him an email about your situation. He will phone you or email you back right away - he's great about that. If you have trouble finding him let me know and I'll send you his email. Good luck. Neil

• Posted

Neil,  I'm going to see my uro on 8/25. I'll see what happens then. If I need more information and your help, I'll let you know.  Much Mahalo,for your concern!

• Posted

Neil, so glad that the procedure went well, and I hope to hear that your are experiencing improvement each week.   I believe the UNC study is done through their urology department, so I wonder if I may ask a favor.  I'm still dealing with total incontinence 5 + months after a GL procedure.  Physical Theraphy including STM-10 treatment hasn't helped, so I want to find the names of a good surgeon who does AMS 800 implantation.  (That's the artificial sphincter.)   I wonder if you are talking with the folks at UNC if you see if they have a name?   Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Glenn - I am really sorry to hear about your incontinence. I am not familiar with what you write about here but I will look into it and see what I can find for you at UNC. Wish you all the best. Neil
    • Posted

Hi Glenn - looks like my response to you was stopped by the moderator. I guess I had too much personal info. Anyway here is the name of the urologist who specializes in male/female incontinence at UNC Chapel Hill: Dr. Kristy Borawski. If you go the UNC Chapel Hill web site they have general email and phone numbers for the urology department. So if you use one of them and tell them you wish to speak with her about the AMS 800 implanation they should direct you to her. Hope this gets through to you! All the best. Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.