PERSONALISED KNEE REPLACEMENTS

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All

On week 5 after TKR still tight and swollen but have been off painkillers for over two weeks now but still unable to straighten 100% off to twice physio session soon.I was thinking reading all the diferent stages reached by patients if the type of TKR made any difference? With mine I had a scan first to make a model of the knee and to get the correct aligment and cutting jig etc would be interested in other patients views.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had so many MRI & 3d CT scans. Consultant has called me in today. What for?  I dunno
    • Posted

My knee parts are due for delivery 7th Nov. My op will be ASAP fingers crossed 
  • Posted

Hi there, that sounds very impressive. I had an MRI scan and x rays of different angles but they were all to help decide whether TKR was necessary rather than to deign the replacement. Sounds as though you were very fortunate. What part of the world are you from? 
    • Posted

Well, I'm impressed with North Wales. I'm in South Wales. 😊 
    • Posted

I'm North Wales  too (Glan Clwyd) and as far as I know didn't have that.Perhaps it depends on the consultant. Mine is Mr  Kumarand I know he also operates at Wrexham, Oswestry and the private Spire clinins.
    • Posted

Hi

I had mine done at Spire Wrexham as there was at least 18 month wait at Ysbyty Gwynedd I belive Mr Ganapathy has started to do the same op now at Ysbyty Gwynedd

• Posted

Thought it could be Spire. Expensive though. I only waited 8 weeks at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd although I was told it could sometimes be up to 9 months.
  • Posted

Nothing other than x rays from different angles. Bog standard Genesis 2 Knee Replacement fitted by my Consultant to the majority of patients regardless of age or activity level. Good old NHS. As far as I am aware, although it may be different in the private sector, there is a set range of sizes as in small, medium, large etc. and they go for the one closest to you, haven't heard of them being personalised to you as an individual but I may be wrong

Deb

• Posted

You  know more than I do Deb. I never even thought about different sizes or makes etc. I just know that it's plastic at the bottom and metal at the top.  And it seems to be working well!!
    • Posted

Hi I'm an HNS patient but my surgeon asked if I would go on a survey where the knee joint is measured and fitted to the patients specific size and needs....MRI scans and X-rays etc......then a survey for a number of years afterwards ....I'm 76 so no idea how long he thinks he can survey me (haha)

i'm ok with the bend but getting it straight is taking longer

• Posted

I just had one set of X-rays about 2 weeks before the op and another set on second day after.

i am also 5 weeks post op on Wednesday. I get good nights and bad nights at present, probably down to how much I do during the day.

if I'm reaching the limit for my knee I find that it gets very stiff and swollen at the back and tight at the front. We are suspecting a possible Bakers Cyst but the consultant will decide on that when I see him next Thursday.

i have discovered I have a ridge just below the front of my knee that I think is the baseplate. surprising really, I didn't think it would overhang like that.

• Posted

I'm going through very similar things to you John at the same stage but no sign of any ridge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.