Personality changed since taking Prozac (Fluoxetine)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I have been on prozac for over 10 weeks now and the side effects have only recently started to subside. The thing that hasn't subsided though is this feeling of depersonalisation. I don't feel like the same person anymore and its freaking me out. My friends and Family have commented on how different I am acting. I seem very hyperactive and find myself thinking different thoughts to what I have in the past. If alcohol is involved then it gets even worse. I get very emotional and do not feel in control of my actions at all. 

This reason alone makes me want to stop taking this medication. I don't want a pill to change me as a person and I really feel like thats what its doing. I also cannot leave the house anymore because of crippling social anxiety and general anxiety. I was battling through it a few months back and was doing healthy things and could even leave the house on my own. Now it seems like a distant memory. 

In summary I just don't feel myself at all and I do not like it. Has anyone else experienced this with this or similar medications? And what actions did you take against it? Its scaring me how much I have changed as a person since starting this medication and its scaring me. Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 8 weeks into it and feel the same but I don't think it's the medication o don't think it does that I have worried about it ever since I started taking it so guess that is why I feel more anxiety I worry about the tablet now however I was in a state before I started taking it I don't like pills so that is an indication of how much I wanted to get better I think we have to hang on in there

• Posted

I'm not sure if its just me. I think the tablet itself is the culprit. I can no longer tell the difference between dreams and reality when I wake up nowadays. I'll think what happened in the dream is real and get very confused. I have also noticed my memory is nothing compared to what it used to be. I feel like I am in a cloud. Hopefully you are right and hope you feel better soon! smile

• Posted

Anxiety is very powerful it becomes all consuming I have it so badly every day it is triggered as soon as I wake up when I keep busy I feel a bit better but trouble is I sit in a chair and don't want to move allowing too much time to think and concentrate on it it is like an obsession a scarey one I took fluoxetine once before it took ages but in the end I woke u one day just knowing I was well again it was lovely I can't wait for that again - beeswax we will get better takes time though

• Posted

Mine is also with me as soon as I wake, it was really bad a few weeks back but I have got some relief lately. This feels much different to any anxiety I've ever had though as I've suffered from both general anxiety and social anxiety my entire life. I think I just want to try and come off anti depressants all together. They seem to cause more issues than they fix in my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.