Perthes Disease problems at 19 (Surgery already performed)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! My name is Jordan Marcum and I come in desperate times for advice about my perthes condition Im a 19 year old male who was diagnosed when I was 4 and had 3 surgeries (in which i only know of the last two and not the first one that they did) in which ill do my best to explain. The first one was between my pelvis and hip which i assume was to look for the problem (i could be wrong), The second one was to repair the hip be reinflating it keeping it in place with a metal disc and various screws and the third to remove said surgical equiptment. Now thats out of the way we can get to the meat of the conversation. Throughout my life ive been limited to running, jumping and sports so you can guess that im a bit overweight at this point (258 to be percise). Ive tried one job which was grovery stocking but alas my hip could not handle a day of work without severe pain. After that my condition worsened over the months to the point of me having to use a cane to lessen the pain and keep my balance (which mind you is very horrible to the point of standing still then falling over at random times). Im also sad to report that it affected my college life and i ended up putting it "on hold" till i could fix this problem.  Mind you my range of motion has been strict reguardless of excersive recommended by therapists (Note: I have been to 7 therapist workout sessions ranging 3 weeks in the last 5 years due to the pain in my hip) and doctors. Its been the vain of my exsistance from being unable to work and earn money to live my life, dropping college and now forcing me to use a cane and eventually a crutch since my condition seems to be worsening. Im to young to have to deal with this lol. Its overcame every hope and dreams ive ever wished for some im dead set on getting this taken care of and to stop living on ibuprofen. I try to excersize the best I can but recently its seemed futile since I pay for it in horrid pain later on in the day. Im grasping my last straws here to find out what to do! I have no medical insurance so my recent falls and accidents have gone unchecked. Ive been unable to walk normally to walking with a Antalgic gait switching back and forth to a trelenberg gait due to the excessive pain most mornings and nights. Its affected my way of driving quite excessively to the point of having to sit on my other hip to lessen the pain when driving. When I walk without a cane I notice a ticking/crunching sound plus pain. At this point im kept up till 3-4 in the morning with perthes pain and restless leg and its driving me crazy! Im super worried somethings wrong since i cant afford to go to the doctor anymore and my condition is worsening by the day/month. Advice would be much appreciated! If anyone needs more info on me id be more than glad to state it in this post.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry. My son is 26 and had a total hip replacement, anterior method. It was absolutely the best thing he has done as he is in Med school and is on his feet 10-16 hours a day.  He is only 4 months out.  It has worked for him. Hope you can find some relief. 
    • Posted

I know like a lot of people on here what the pain is like and the truth is you are letting it beat you. You are becoming overweight more and more and now you have a cane, half the battle is the mental one.

So many of us have struggled every day with constant pain, paranoia of people staring when you limp by, stops because you can't walk 100metres and you are sweating etc etc.

The only solution you have is a total hip replacement, you sound like you have severe osteoarthritis and that's the pain right there.

If it's costing you money you need a goal, how much the treatment is and how much you can save for it. Forget manual jobs it's desk work now. 

I've had a total hip replacement and it has changed my life, no more pain grimace faces, I look out of pain now and I am.

Action, it's the only way or you got 20 more years of it, a wheelchair next. This is supposed to be the best years of your life. Get a game plan and stick to it. Good Luck

• Posted

The total hip replacement has changed my son's life... He is not in constant pain anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.