Pessary

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI Ihave a grade 3 uterine prolapse and have been reffered  for surgery. As a temporary measure the Dr fitted me with a gel horn pessary... I had tried 3 ring pessaries before with no luck they immediately fell out within 24 hrs.  But the gelhorn has worked perfectly, I don’t know it’s there and all prolapse symptoms have been relieved. The only downside I have to remove  pessary and then replace to have a sex life with DH. Not too much of an issue but kind of spoils the spontaneity.

Anyway my question do I carry on with pessary I am 55 years old or do I go ahead with prolapse surgery and hysterectomy. Undecided 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi sheepystar,

If I were you and I was happy with the pessary then stick with it as long as you can. 

Repair surgery doesn't last forever and sooner or later needs to be redone and often not as successful in later ones so I would hold off as long ad you are comfortable with the gel horn and able to live your life.

I had Hysterectomy and front repair and like you was given a pessary, I opted for one I could remove before sex. That kept falling out and eventually wouldn't stay in. 

My first repair lasted 3 years and although had reasonable mobility I had to give up going to the gym and had to cut back on walking any real distance, I kept pushing the limits and eventually it failed due to long shifts on my feet at work and possiably when spring cleaning it was a bit to heavy.

Once you've had the surgery you have to be careful and avoid any down pressure otherwise it will just fail again.

Since then had a second surgery for front and back repair I am now 2 and half years post op and although back at work only covering two basic short shifts from which I have difficulty recovering and have to now severely limit how much walking and swimming I can do. My front wall is still swollen and can feel saggy if I don't get a decent supporting seat at work. Not sure how long this surgery will last or if they will even be able to do any more as I am having horrible pain and nippy discomfort from scar tissue which is tight and thin around my vagina know opening and can't see how they can pull that any tighter x

• Posted

Every case may be different  In my case I had many urinary tract infection  over the years, and when I finally had surgery to have the mesh put in the doctor said I had many adhesions and my bladder was thin and large and he could not put in the mesh but did clear some of the adhesions and helped me some..  I am 79.  I too had confusions about the mesh but in my case waited too long.  I still have control most of the time but have to wear Depends for some leakage. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.