Pet Scan experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Just want to hear what was protocol with your pet scan.

On Friday I had a head and neck pet ct to hopefully rule out cancer.

My doctor reluctantly ordered it and the imaging facility was equally hesitant when scheduling.

My questions didn't surface until looking back on how everything went.

First off I thought they were supposed to check my blood sugar which they did not. When I was given the injection it looked to be a regular syringe (no special markings of hazordous as I might expect) and right into my arm, not a tube as I had read prior.

Walking to the test the technologist asked if I were wearing any necklaces? I said no but I did have in earrings of which she said was fine to leave them in. Everything I read says to remove.

Getting placed for the scan she had me put my hands over my head. Looking after the fact shouldn't they have been at my sides to get the clearest view? Also I thought it was weird that I couldn't hear the machine at all. Not even a hum.

As I was leaving there were no instructions like drink plenty of water, etc.

And when my husband gave our credit card to pay they came back and said it couldn't be processed that we would be mailed a receipt later.

This just feels really strange over all. Maybe this is how it goes and I'm just overly paranoid.

Any advice in how yours went would be highly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You didn't say what type of brain and neck CT scan you hadEach CT scan can be different depending on the body part they are scanning. No one told you what to expect before you even got there? Like a list of instructions?

• Posted

Hi Chicky,

I had a pet/ct scan of the head and neck. I was only told a few things prior to the test like not to eat after 7:00 am and to wear comfortable clothes. I'm sure they told me they were going to check my blood sugar although I told them that I am not diabetic. I just assumed that's for them to know so the fdg administration wouldn't make the test faulty or cause damage to any organs.

I know my Dr. didn't really want to give me this test so I'm wondering if I'm getting the run around. I on the other hand just want to know if something is or is not going on. Unfortunately oral cancer can be very sneaky.

At any rate I should know more tomorrow but the whole incident just seems weird.

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.