PET SCAN with AXUMEN

Posted , 3 users are following.

A couple of weeks ago I was in conversation with someone in this blog and I have forgotten who it was with (my apologies) and he asked me to get back with him after it was performed.

So, The PET SCAN with AXUMEN was the same as a regular PET Scan.  Get an IV, they shoot you up with the radioactive tracer and you lay in the bed that slides you through the scanner.  Took about 30-40 minutes.  No side effects.  Didn't feel any 'funny' feeling when injected.

Results came out negative for any lesions present in any part of my body.  I am now on the wait and watch regimen, testing my PSA every 3 months. If it increases I am not sure what is next because at this point EBRT isn't practical unless they think it is OK to just bombard me with radiation with no target in mind, kinda like the US policy on bombing Afghanistan.

The purpose of the use of AXUMEN was that this radioactive tracer was specifically sensitive to Prostate cells.  I guess the low PSA is still too low even though I am not far from the clinical definition of having recurrent cancer.

Wait and watch.......guess it is better than the 'real' thing.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard,

?Did where can you get one of these scans done, had you been diagnosed with PC.   What is your PSA.  My husband has a fluctuating PSA and an enlarge prostate and they want to do a biopsy even though the MRI they said shows nothing 'exciting'.  Would this scan be more definitive.

Stay well.  Best wishes.  Anne.

• Posted

I am post op surgery, 6 months Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatectomy.  I should have negligible to zero PSA reading.  I don't.  I may have benign prostate cells left behind or worse cancerous.  The PET Scan with Axumen is specifically approved ONLY after TREATMENT fpr the cancer,ie; surgery or radiatio0n. The axumen is a radioactive tracer that tracks down only prostate cells (or something like that)

• Posted

Sorry Richard I didn't realise this was something they do post surgery for PC.  Thanks for clarifying.

• Posted

Thanks Richard for the update, I was the person that asked. I'll be getting one myself very soon.

• Posted

the scan is NOTHING.  It's all about the results.  Not sure if we were premature in the timing.  .15 then last months .19 PSA may be too low, even though it seems like .2 is the number that triggers further treatment.

WAIT and WATCH.  at least EBRT is delayed at least 3 months.

Good luck

• Posted

Hey I am back, unfortunately. Received 3 month PSA results.

.26 up from .20.

Had RARP one year ago, 4-3=7 Gleason. PSA : .15, .19, .20, now .26. Without actually doing the math that's doubling in 1 year. NO BUENO.

Go to urologist on Friday. ANYBODY out there facing treatment for RECURRENT CANCER? Or been through it? EBRT or ADT?

Feeling down about it all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.