Petechia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, looking for advice, I am female 65, had a small tia last year, was put on Clopidogrel until 10days ago when changed to low dose asprin, spoke to doctor and told also ok to take omega 3 supplements,

I Bruise so so easily ever since beginning the Clopidogrel, but i understand it to be a side effect of both Clopidogrel and Asprin, so am willing to accept that, small price to pay if it stops a stroke...

Anyway, this morning I noticed a pin prick rash on both my legs, on the shin area only, it doesnt itch or hurt in any way, but I am concerned after googling it that it is bleeding under the skin called petechia, not sure of spelling, and possibly a sign of low platelet levels.

I Have a blood test scheduled of next wednesday, so i can mention it then, but wondered if anyone knows if I should stop the Asprin and omega 3, and if this could in itself be dangerous, will this be ok until wednesday, ? I feel fine in myself, although am having some twitchy muscles and achy joints, which I do get sometimes, although the twitching is usually just legs, and is now in hands, odd face twiches and eye etc, which is possibly just anxiety based.

Any thoughts please, thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy  Sorry to hear your problems. If I were you I would either ring out of hours Dr. for advise or go to A & E always better to get it checked out.

• Posted

Thankyou Grace, I am keeping an eye on the rash and going to get it checked.,,,
  • Posted

If it looks like a rash it is not bleeding under the skin. I bruised very easily with warfarin and clopidogrel but not with aspirin.

My last visit to A&E on a Saturday with a cut hand when on Warfarin ....Arrived 11.45 pm and left at 8am. Definately a place to avoid!

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply, I have stopped the asprin today, and will have a chat to nurse when bloods taken weds.....
  • Posted

Hi Wendy - yes the pin point red/purple spots under your skin is a common side effect of blood thinning agents. Bruising too. Wouldn't worry about it, but of course talk to your doc about it and any anxieties you have. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thankyou for reply, I am going to speak it nurse on Weds, stopped the Asprin today, see what they say at surgery.....
    • Posted

I would stick with the aspirin as it gives you some protection until the nurse sees the rash and can give you an opinion on it.
  • Posted

Hi, I am a highly alergic person. Last year, following a minor stroke, I was put on  Clopidrogel 75 mg. Yes, got the minor bruises, but after 3 months got a pronounced skin rash. I was switched to 75 mg aspirin, rash went after 7-10 days .....
    • Posted

Hi colin - I read your post and have to mention that I was on clopidogrel for two years and rashes developed into excema. I have read that excema can be a side effect from clopidogrel, not that doc ever warned me or acknowledged the problem. It's been two year since I stopped taking it and it has taken this long for the problem to slowly diminish. Lucky you acted quickly - hope there are no further probs for you...

• Posted

Hi Wayne,  I am due a renal stent shortly, but dialogue with the renal dept has been patchy, to say the least. I don't want to have a stent fitted, be put back on Clopidrogel to ward off a blood clot on the stent, only to find Clopidrogel causes problems again. Then I would probably have to come off, exposing myself to a blood clot risk. Ticagrelor has been mentioned, but I cannot find much on the Web about it :-(

• Posted

Hi colin - I had a stent inserted. After I threw away the meds another doc scare mongered about clots. I have ignored it. Instead I take fish oil which helps thin the blood and my diet is very good - as well as exercise. Aspirin can be used too. Quality of life has improved no end - as far as i am concerned, the meds prescribed after heart attack poisoned me and the docs ignored multiple side effects, or attempted to prescribe more meds to deal with those. Ultimately the decisions about meds and the doctors motive is a personal one. Good luck whatever you decide.
    • Posted

Hi Wayne - there are two other drugs in the same family as Clopidogrel; this drug family is called the thienopyridines which also includes Ticlopidine and Prasugrel. Ticagrelor is a new class of anti-platelet drug called a cyclopentyl–triazolo–pyrimidine (phew). Ticagrelor MAY also be called something like Brilinta in the USA. Not sure what the feedback is on Ticagrelor ......... Quite a few of my drugs either do not work, or cause side effects :-(   All the best !
  • Posted

Interesting all the comnents, just to update my post, I have stopped the Clopidogrel, and am now on Asprin, gastro protect, which I buy myself from pharmacy, as doctor wanted to give me uncoated asprin, and another tablet to counteract any side effects, but on checking side effects of that tablet decided it was best to get the gastro protect, and buy them myself, as doctor said yes no problem, but she isnt able to prescribe them???? Which to me seems a bit silly, another reason why nhs is having problems, having to prescribe two tablets instead of one, whats all that about.

Anyway, not bruising so much now, rash gone, and strangely enough my shins were really tender all the time I was on the clopidogrel, but are much better now.

I think this is the way forward for me.

Also fish oils, and garlic are good natural blood thinners, which are used by many....

• Posted

My own preference is for `dispersible' (not gastro resistant coated ones) asprin, which I chew, then a glass of water. The antireflux drug I take is Omeprazole, changed last year from Ranitine. In the past I was on Omeprazole for 5 years, but started to get sore breasts !! hence the Ranitidine, then Omeprazol. No problems so far with Omeprazole. Drugs, what a pain :-). What fish oil do you all use ?

• Posted

Hi Colin, yes it was the Omeprazole that I was offered, doctor said I should also take a magnesium supplement with them as they can deplete your magnesium levels, so once I looked at all the side effects, then thought, that in stopping the clopidogrel I would be having to replace one tablet with three, thought the gastro protect would suit me better, and so far so good, long may it last.

I just take omega 3 fish oils 1000mg, no particular make,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.