Petrified

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to have my forth Gastroscopy tomorrow...I don't suffer these things well..always opted for sedation. Last one the sedation had not taken effect before they were ramming the tube down my throat...swallow I kept getting told...please tell me how u can swallow a tube the size of your thumb. I am having to have my hiatus hernia measured, god knows what this will en tale. I am so frightened to the extent I want to cancel. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you considered doing it without sedation? It seems like the only thing sedation does is "make you forget" but it's just confusing patients and giving them false bad memories. The Dr shouldn't have been telling you to swallow repeatedly,  especially if you were sedated. The scope is rigid enough to easily be shoved down with no assistance on your part.  It's also only about the size of the tip of your index finger. I was unsedated for mine and he told me swallow one time just as a heads up that the scope was going down.  He then shoved it down without me needing to do anything.  You'll be amazed at how big the esophagus actually is! You'll still be able to breathe completely normal through both your nose and mouth,  burp without any hesitation, etc. It's not scary at all when you're conscious and there. I didn't appreciate having several nurses try to scare me into sedation by telling me how violent I would be gagging and that it was such an uncomfortable procedure etc. I didn't gag at all and of course the procedure is "uncomfortable" - it's a procedure!  It's not a day at the spa.  I encourage everybody now to go without the confusing, scary sedation.  It's honestly the easiest medical thing I've ever had done to date. They're only in your stomach for about 2 minutes and the worst part is the taste of the numbing spray.  Go into it with a sense of humor, you're going to be fine! 

• Posted

My experience mirrors yours. I had every assistance from the nurse and doctor who certainly did not pressure me at all.  When told to swallow, I did and  as near as I can describe it, it was like swallowing a lump of dry bread.

I do think that what decides the whole experience is how relaxed you can persuade yourself to be. Deep breath in through nose; hold briefly then slowly exhale thorough the mouth. Practise beforehand. 

I do own up to being much more scared of being unconscious but, again, skilled staff make all the difference.  " Just hold this for me" said the anaesthetist at my hip op. Clever man somehow managed to position it over my face and bingo!  

• Posted

Exactly!  I love stories of supportive medical staff. The world definitely needs more of those kind souls. And I agree about trying to relax and being conscious of yourself. I understand it's scary and nobody really knows what to expect from it but if you go into it freaked out,  crying,  out of control of your body and muscles then you're just going to have a bad time no matter what happens (sedation or no sedation).  I truly believe that a good amount of the "endoscope horror stories" are from people that were in full blown panic mode and opted for sedatives that blurred their reality. If you're in and out of sleep there's just no telling how your mind will play tricks on you. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be to wake up midprocedure not knowing the scope was down and feeling like you can't breathe just to pass out again 😰 No thank you lol no sedation for me. 2 minutes and I go on with my happy day. 

• Posted

Even though my experience was horrifying, the nurses were amazing. The one knew me as a child as she lived next to my auntie, and she made it so my bf could come in the room with me, put me in a prep room to wait rather than the waiting room, stroked my hair when I felt like I was breaking and tried to keep me as calm as she could. I want to get her flowers and a thank you card tomorrow for trying to do her best. I feel horrible that I was unable to go ahead with the procedure but she was amazing 
    • Posted

Why is sedation confusing and scarey? Had it several times and was never confused or scared. They start a IV, take you in, push the meds, you wake up. No confusion or scared feeling at all. I waited til doc finished procedure after mine, about 45 minutes,to talk to him about his findings and went home.
    • Posted

Just to read that makes me breath hard!

Without sedation you get to have a guided tour of your gut ( or, at least, I was offered and accepted. ) No waiting for results. To each his own.

• Posted

Gotta wait for the lab results on biopsies anyways. That's the important stuff.

• Posted

Everyone is different I went to my first one on Friday and wished I had gone with sedation coz it was horrible and I withdrew consent I couldn’t get my heart rate back down and kept crying that I couldn’t do it. 

So go win sedation is my advice. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.