Petrified and confused

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, (I'm 25/F)

I'm really hoping someone can help. 

Last week, on Weds, I went for a short walk at work on my lunch break in some low heeled ankle boots (same that I've been wearing for a year) and all of a sudden I got a burning sensation in the balls of my feet and had to go back to my desk & take them off for the day cos it was so intense!

I rested up and the next day I had a tingling sensation going up my legs, again just took it easy as I wasn't at work that day but it didn't go away. Friday I woke up and I noticed my genitalia and abdomen had started to go quite numb. I could still feel but was certainly desensitised. Then on Saturday it had spread to my breasts and my hands. So pretty much everywhere apart from my arms and my head is suffering from tingly numbness and it's sending me into a panic. 

Could it be nerve damage? I went to the out of hours service at the hospital on Saturday night and the doctor just googled and said it could be Guillain-barre but I don't have any weakness/pain/anything else and I've not been ill at all! So I couldn't help but think that was a complete shot in the dark and she had no idea.

Please help me? I'm going to my GP first thing tomorrow to sit and wait for an appointment. Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Did you have an allergic reaction to some food or chemical? 

Another issue could be the vagus nerve involved here getting damage as you said your abdomen is also involved. How this could have happened is not known. 

Gullain-barre would not affect so many areas. If you were older than 40 and your jaw, neck or shoulders were involved, i would say that you had stroke symptoms, and you need to go to ER immediately, but i dont see that case. 

Let us know what your GP says. 

• Posted

Hi,

if if this is affecting either your bowel or bladder I.e. You can't go, then you should go to A&E. without wanting to alarm you, you might have nerve damage so this should be looked at straight away.

if you bladder or bowels are not affected then this becomes a much lower priority and can wait until you see your GP in the morning.

Take care and let us all know how you get on.

• Posted

It could be Guillain Barre. Some cases are milder than others. I would definitely get it checked out to see but try not to panic-just complicates things. I had a milder case that ascended up my body too. Have you had anything (illness,vaccine,etc) prior to your symptoms?
  • Posted

Mine affected lots of areas but I never lost complete feeling either. Hope they can help.
  • Posted

Hi all, thanks for your replies!

I obviously got myself in a panic last night and got a GP appt this morning. 

He ruled out GBS as I haven't been ill for a very long time and it's not localised to one area. He also ruled out MS as I've got no weakness and again it's not in one area. I just don't match up to any other 'syndrome' so to speak. 

He sent me to get bloods done so they're checking my autoimmune stuff and for anything i could be low in such as vitamins or blood sugar levels. He thinks it will come back clear and it could be down to stress and anxiety but he was quite baffled. 

If it doesn't go away and my bloods come back clear I'll be referred to a Neurologist for further investigations but in the interim I'm going to my brother in law who is a chiropractor to see if he can figure something out and give me a treatment plan. 

I'll keep this thread updated, just so if it happens to anyone else and they google it might help them out a bit! x 

• Posted

My GBS was not localized to one area but I did have weakness. Hope a Neurologist can help you.
    • Posted

I got a Tdap vaccine about a week or so before. Did you have any vaccines (Flu, etc.) or any illness before? Sometimes GBS is triggered by this. Do you have any weakness that you can tell? They could not tell my weakness because I was so fit but I definitely could tell. I could hardly walk but I still did have my reflexes which people usually lose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.