Petrified as having partial dentures fitted in 2 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to have tooth extracted top middle tooth and due to have partial denture to say I'm scared is under statement I've heard so many scare stories about choking not being able to talk eat properly I can't sleep or concentrate thinking about it I have phobia with dentists also have real phobia of being sick can someone give me some advice please, I'm not in good health and this just adding to my probs 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My friend had this recently. She was very worried. She had a little trouble eating hard things for a few weeks but she now has a lovely smile and is used to her dentures. She never mentioned being in pain. Hope you have a similar experience. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I expect it's fear of the unknown 

• Posted

I've had a partial upper denture (not the same one!) for more than 60 years and have never had any serious problems with it.

Usually the worst bit is having the casts taken. That's the only thing that ever made me gag a bit but it's really not that bad. Have you had that done yet?

Obviously, having something in your mouth that didn't use to be there is a bit uncomfortable at first. Every time I have to have a new denture it's a bit awkward for the first couple of weeks, but I quickly get used to it. It does make eating and talking a bit strange just at first, but you soon get over this phase.

In your case it might be a bit different, as I gather from your post that you're having the denture fitted soon after the extraction. I believe this can be more painful, and the denture has to be adjusted after a few months, when the socket has fully healed. I had the denture after I got a tooth knocked out at the age of 12, so they just left me toothless for a few months till everything had healed and shrunk down.

The denture itself won't make you sick. The plate for a partial denture is usually horse-shoe shaped, so it doesn't touch the middle of your palate, which is where the gag reflex can be activated. The usual problem point is the thick titanium wires that hook around a couple of your back teeth, to hold the denture firmly in place. These can give you gyp for a couple of weeks, but only till the teeth move apart sufficiently to accommodate them. This won't make your other teeth fall out or anything like that. I had my last change of denture at the age of 69 and although it hurt my other teeth for a little while everything settled down very quickly.

The most important thing for all denture wearers is to take them out for cleaning twice a day, when you normally clean your teeth. If you don't do this, food waste will build up underneath the plate, give you smelly breath and rot your other teeth. I've done this from the start, and none of my other teeth have ever been affected.

Just think how good you'll feel once you've got rid of that bad tooth and have your smile back again!

• Posted

Aw thank you very much for replying so fast, yes I'm having it fitted straight after the extraction yes I had the impressions taken two days ago that was horrible too, I must admit I had put off going to dentist for few years cue to dental phobia after very bad experience few yrs before. When I had impressions taken I was almost lying down weird as thought I'd be sitting up in dental chair

• Posted

Oh I know - they always have you lying almost flat for impressions. Been there many times! Not sure why really, as it increases the fear of choking.

Still, you've experienced the worst on that front. It won't exactly be plain sailing from now on but in my experience the impression is the worst part!

• Posted

Yes it does increase the fear of choking. Was glad when that was over I must admit thanks v much replying lily 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.