Petrified colonoscopy with complication.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed diverticulosis at my last colonoscopy. With family hx of colon cancer am due again and it is scheduled for this coming Tues. Doctor said I need a double time slot for procedure as my colon is twisted. Also diagnosed with mega colon many years ago.  After  last colonoscopy also diagnosed with esophogitis (redness at the juncture) and mild gastroparisis.  I am an anxious prone person to begin with.  I woke today with anxiety going through the roof. My upper GI symptoms so much worse I guess with the anxiety.  So scared with the upcoming colonoscopy. Does the diverticulosis make you more vulnerable to risks? Should you go on low residue diet?. My info sheet only warns of no corn and seeds one wk before. Ate banana and 3 fiber per cup cold cereal for breakfast today. It is Fri and colonoscopy is Tues. So scared about everything. Trying to control my mind but my body won't listen. Feeling so increasingly sick upper GI wise. How am I going to get the miralax prep down feeling like this? Should I be on low residue diet or will that cause constipation and make matters worse?  Any help/insight so greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Merianna my lupus is relatively under control and as I have had it for 17 years I know my flares where as this diviculitis is new to me and scares me with every twinge my concern is getting a blockage as my stools can have hard lumps in them. Im going to live abroad as of December and im determined im not going to let it stop me. Also I struggle with information on this disease and this site is a godsend. I still haven't worked out with diviculitis is a flare or a permanent condition.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi

Having read that you get hard lumps in your stool, and bearing in mind your other medical conditions, I suggest you talk to your doctor about taking a daily stool softener that is compatible with your other medications.  That might help the internal passage and keep down the hard lumps.  Diverticular Disease is a condition for life.  Diverticulitis is an acute flare up where there is inflammation/infection of the diverticula which requires treatment.  It can take it's time to settle down and the pain can linger for weeks or months then hopefully you will be symptom free.  As you have found out, there is loads of information and advice on this forum.  I also suggest you do your research before moving abroad, so you know what medications are available, and where to get them.  When I was in Denmark I found I was prescribed something not available in the UK (for a different condition, not diverticulitis).  I hope it's somewhere nice and sunny!  Jealous!!!

• Posted

Thank you for the information Felinia I have been prescribed a stool softener Cosmocol (I think that's the name) I only take it when my stools become lumpy and it certainly does work.  Im going to Cyprus I went for three months May June and July and the sunshine and heat made me feel so much better.  I was diagnosed with Diviculitis after a colonoscopy I had been in terrible pain and was sent for a CT scan which showed divicular disease and collapsed colon. After taking the laxatives during the preparation I passed a large dry stool which must have caused my colon to collapse because no air could get through.  I was never given any antibiotics for my diviculitis it just seem to clear up on its own thankfully. I will be able to get any meds from the hospital (repeat prescriptions) and im hoping that they can prescribe or at least sell the stool softener.  I do still get pain from time to time. I cant let this rule my life although I do feel like rolling over and giving in most days x

• Posted

Hi

I looked up Cosmocol and see why you were prescribed it, due to your blockage, instead of the more gentle daily one I take, which prevents the lumps forming in the first place.  Although most countries do prescribe antibiotics for diverticulitis, some European countries do not, relying on dietary measures only.  I can only suggest you have a reasonable amount of soluble fibre to help keep the stools soft.  I personally avoid insoluble fibre like potato and fruit skins, and make a lot of soups purees and smoothies.  If you think you are getting a flare up, stick to liquid only for a few days.  It can take a long time to get over an attack, weeks or even months, but things do get better.  I've seen many people post on here really struggling at first, and eventually learn to cope and feel better.  Good luck in Cyprus.

• Posted

Thanks for that Felinia what daily stook softener do you take I will give it a try as I only take the Cosmoco when stools start to get hard but I would prefer them not to get hard in the first place. I eat skins at the moment because of the added fibre but to be honest think its too harsh on my colon so I will start peeling fruit and potatoes. I think im getting a little flare up as well as im getting stabbing pains so I will stick to liquid as you suggest. Im grateful for any information you can throw my way. 
    • Posted

I'm in the UK and I take Fybogel, which you can get online or over the counter.  The US equivalent is Metamucil.  It's an orange flavoured powder which you mix with a tumbler of water and chug down immediately before it thickens.  I take it first thing every morning.  It is made of natural plant fibre, but does have additives and sweeteners which I know some people won't take.  But check with your doctor first please.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between a flare up, and the intermittent stabbing pains you continue to get after a flare as you heal.  Only experience will teach you.  If they worsen, back to the doctor.  But it's best to be safe than sorry by sticking to liquids for a few days.  And many a person, having been told to have plenty of fibre, ends up having too much insoluble fibre, thinking it will help.  I am virtually pain free now after a year, but still get the odd niggle, particularly first thing before I go to the toilet.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Felinia I will buy some Fybogel it sounds similar to the Cosmocol I take at the moment but im not sure whether Cosmocol is a made of natural plant fibre. Im due to see my gp some time this week so I will mention it to her.  I live in the Kent and im 67. I think maybe I should peel my fruit before eating it as the skin might be too harsh for my stomach. Once again thanks for the information I have been given no information on any of this from NHS apart from a leaflet which tells me to eat fruit with skin on and lots of fibre.  I don't eat meat just fish and im also careful as to what veg I eat, at the moment I cannot tolerate broccoli.

• Posted

Cosmocol is chemical whilst Fybogel is a natural husk but with chemical additives.  It is much gentler than Cosmocol which I noted said not to be used for more than 2 weeks.  As I said, I have taken it daily for 16 years and I'm mainly perfect on the Bristol stool chart.  However, it does make you go more often.  For me that is 3 - 6 times a day, but I'd rather have an empty colon.  (I always went more than once a day before anyway).  Some people find it does not suit.  It does take a week or so to start to take effect. 

Lucky you actually managing to get an appointment with your GP.  Where I live in Devon it is totally impossible, due to illness and staff shortages.  They are only seeing emergencies, seriously ill, frail elderly and children as a priority.  So my partially misaligned thumb didn't count (rest and ice by phone which was totally useless - it needed someone to actually see it was slightly out of alignment) and I ended up going private, which is costing a fortune in physio now.  And it may never be 100% again as it was left too long untreated.

I too am 67 and eat mainly fish, chicken, well cooked vegetables and purees, soups, eggs and well chewed salads.  I found I had to cut gluten and full fat out of my diet, and have very small portions of certain fruits.  I can't have raspberries or blackberries, because of the seeds, no acidic fruit and I peel and de-seed my tomatoes.  But I have nectarines/peaches (peeled), bananas, melon, blueberries and a few strawberries.

The article on this site about Diverticular Disease is very good and explains a lot.  Best wishes.

• Posted

That all makes sense I will buy some fibrogel today and give it a go. If I find it helps I will buy some on line and take it to Cyprus with me. I have been eating tomatoes with skins but I will try and be more careful in future, I do eat oranges but find that they do sting my stomach so will have to give them up as well, funnily enough the oranges I was eating in Cyprus weren't didn't sting my stomach. I will have a look on this site about Divicular Disease and have a look for some tips. I do go to the gym regularly and also do aqua classes so im trying to keep fit in spite of it all!!  Once again thank you for you for advice its reassuring. xx

• Posted

Thought it interesting that you and Felina are both 67 and I am too. Perhaps others on this thread fall also into the same age category.  
  • Posted

I think diverticular disease is something you get when your are older or so I was told but younger people do also get it. I am size 10 and have a healthy diet and never have takeaway food of processed food I also go to the gym 3 times a week. I have bought some fibogel today and will give it a try hopefully it will soften my stools so I don't have to worry about blockage.

• Posted

Also if you find you are constipated buy Miralax. It is  the best way to stay open. Continuous constipation can cause diverticulitis. Keeping open is important and no straining if possible. 🙏

• Posted

Madeline, Great suggestion, as only using 1 packet would seem to be a gentle solution in conjunction with the fiborgel.

Fourteen packets is what I am using as the main part of my prep. Ugh took me a little over five hours to get it down to avoid vomiting. One hour break and on to ducolux pills followed two hours latter by the worst tasting 10 ounce bottle of mag citrate which I usually only manage half. By then I had it. 

On on the topic of straining does anyone ever experience feeling a sense of fullness in the rectum but no urgency to go?

Also does anyone know what causes a twisted colon.

I have been diagnosed with mega colon over thirty years ago. Doctor told me you are born with it, like a big nose or large feet. Diverticulosis about 10 years ago and IBS and lactose intolerance about 5 years ago. Then about three years ago esophogitis and last year gastroparisis.  Wondering if any of these conditions cause the colon to become twisted?

Madeline, I love chocolate too and eat a lot of the dark telling myself it is a good source of antioxidants. Hope your better from the cramps. So hard to stay with moderate limits. Chocolate just goes down too fast. 

Christine, I am also not heavy (size 8) and try to eat a reasonably good diet. I don't eat much in the way of raw salad but like cooked vegetables and eat whole grains, no red meat and look for organic products when possible. I do use some minimally processed food products but never eat fast food like burgers and fries.

Hopefully armed with the fibergel and miralax your situation will be improved.  Some types of oranges tend to be more citric (stronger) than others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.