Petrified of optical migraines any advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm so sorry to bother you, and I'm also sorry if this is a topic already is talked about somewhere. I've been suffering from optical migraines for the past year. I never know when they will come, or what triggers them.? I have been keeping a diary, nothing found as of yet. It starts with a blind spot, quickly turns to a silver squiggly line that last for about 20 minutes, then followed by the migraine. I can get them one day, and then again the next day, then not for 2 weeks, then 1 a week, I never know when . I'm so scared of them they are ruining my life! I'm afraid to drive, or work that I'll get one . I have been to the eye Doctor she says my eyes are good , I've also been to the Neurologist she say migraines . I have insisted on an MRI which I do early November . Does anyone else get these, and if you do are you scared, and if not scared, how do cope through them? my head goes straight into panic, I think like tumor, or stroke, or my vision wont ever come back. It's making me so sad . i do get a big migraine after the visual, but I will deal with that part no problem, its the visual part that gets me. I hate these things! Thank you for reading, I hope you are all Well

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi debbi, I read your comment with interest. Do you have elevated blood pressure that is just in the high range but not too high? Do your ears ring and is there a surreal feeling when you see the squiggly line? I was told the same thing (eye migraines) when I was having them, I was also having the blind spot (like reading words but couldn't see the whole word, like the middle was missing is the best way to describe it) I had these episodes for months and like yours, they came and went. Then in 2018 I had two subarachnoid haemorrhages. It's good you're getting an MRI soon as a SAH is a headache you'd never want to experience. Let me know how you went and what the outcome was. All the best to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your kind words, I am so sorry you had to go through all that. i do not have high blood pressure thank goodness, but i do get that weird feeling during, and after for a day which freaks me out even more. i get them just as you said, words missing and then the light show. I'm deathly afraid of them like I'll pass out, or have a stroke, or I wont get my vision back. They are ruining my life! Thank you again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.