Petrified over blood test results

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 17 years old and suffer form a bit of anxiety. A few weeks ago I went to do a routine fasting blood test, one I haven't done for years. My doctor found that my alkaline phosphatase was double the upper range for my gender and age and that my vitamin D was mildly deficient. My GP said that the reason my ALP was high was due to my vitamin D deficiency but I have doubts as it was only slightly deficient. I don't know what to do and am worried about liver and bone cancer. I have been getting a slight back ache that comes and goes which adds to my worries. Should I go back and get an X-ray or am I being silly? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think the next best step would be to get the ALP isozyme test, to see which specific type of alkaline phosphatase is elevated. The ALP isozyme test can distinguish between the bone and liver ALP, but being your other liver function test are normal, I would imagine your high ALP has to do with bone.   I would also like to mention that a low Vitamin D, even if just mildly low, can cause a high ALP if you have had the low Vitamin D for a long time, as even mildly low Vitamin D can cause damage to your bones.   Also.. being you are 17, it just may be normal that your ALP is elevated, being your bones are still growing.  So, anyway, I would suggest the ALP isozyme test, or you could just get your ALP retested again in another 6 months.  Has your doctor put you on a high dose Vitamin D?  If not, I would ask him, as low Vitamin D, even if just mild, can cause a lot of stress to the body.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply x. Yeah my doctor seems to think that it is bone related due to my vitamin D deficiency. She just said to take tablets and spend more time in the sun since I spend a lot of time indoors studying eek. I was just worried that it was elevated and had no idea about how mild vitamin D can cause an elevation. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so anything slightly off for me is ... sinister  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.