PF Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wanted to share my experience with plantar fascia release surgery since I had seen so few posts about it when I was considering my options.

I had been suffering from PF for over 5 years in both feet.  During the course of that time I had seen 2 different podiatrists and had 2 different sets of custom orthotics, numerous cortisone shots, and tried just about every compression sock, night splint, and stretching regime out there.  I decided enough was enough and sought out a new podiatrist, my criteria was that they had to be very experienced, certified to to do surgery, and have more than one doctor in the practice.  I found the best foot doctor ever, he was nothing like the previous ones I had seen (they hadn't seemed quite as professional).  Right away he checked the orthotics I was using and SHOWED me that they weren't lining up with my arch any longer and had new ones made, when those came in he made sure they lined up correctly, and when they didn't he sent them right back and had them remade until they were perfect.  After 4 months with the new orthotics and another round of cortisone injections and no significant relief, we discussed surgery as an option.  I decided that I was too young to be crippled by PF for the rest of my life and would give surgery a try. 

THIS WAS THE  BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE.

In September I had surgery on my left foot.  It hurt, but I was able to walk on it that same day for up to 15 minutes per hour.  The first few days were painful, but after the first week I was getting around pretty well and back into my normal sneakers (with my custom orthotics).  I still had to take it easy, but was able to walk my kids to the bus stop, prepare meals, and do basic household tasks.  I wasn't completely healed, but the pain was nowhere near what I had been experiencing daily from my PF before the surgery.  By Halloween I was nearly pain free and decided to have the surgery on my other foot the first week of November.  

It is now the first week of February and I am happy to report that my feet do not hurt!  I can go to the grocery store and not feel crippled for the rest of the day afterwards!  I can literally run around with my kids, play basketball, and walk on a treadmill daily and feel tired but pain-free at the end of the day! 

I still wear my orthotics religiously, I literally put my feet into my shoes with them as I get out of bed in the morning, the only time I am I without them is in the shower and when I am sleeping, I even put them on if I have to use the bathroom in the night.  My doctor told me I will likely need orthotics for the rest of my life, which I will happily use if it means never having the awful pain of plantar fasciitis again.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What type of surgery did you have? I have suffered for over 25 years with plantar and now my matatarls are bothering me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.