PH Manometry test

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am due to have a PH manometry test next Tuesday 26th and have been told to stop taking Esomeprazole 7 days before and Domperidone 3 days before.  So today has been my first day without PPI's.  I am very anxious about how I am going to cope without medication and I am not looking forward to the test either.  Is there anyone out there who can share their experience of this?

Thank you in anticipation,

Lynne

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

LynneI cannot offer you any advive other than to assure you that I am sure you will be ok.Just remember that its a way of getting to what is causing the problem. In fact you will have to tell me how you got on because I saw my Consultant today and he is going to arrange the test for me.Funnily enough he is also going to arrange for me to begin to take Domperidine as well. Has it helped you with your problems.So once again dont worry I am sure you will be fine. Ted
    • Posted

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your kind words.  I have been taking Domperidone for over 12 months.  It did help my heartburn/chest pain initially to the point where I almost felt normal!  My symptoms still persist now though and I have chest pain/heartburn everyday.  I have had numerous tests - my story is a long one.  Just hoping this ph manometry test shows something significant and I can have a way forward.  I will keep you posted with how it goes.

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

You should Google:

"Drug watchdog restricts domperidone use over side-effects"

• Posted

Derek Thanks for getting me to Google that. It was worth the effort as I am now not going to take it.

Its got me thinking of how easily, me at least and possibly others, are so impressed with what someone with an authorative voice and demeanour says to us.

Given that my problem as I described it matches none of the symptoms that this drug is supposed to treat it just proves that once again the doctor is just " puting up a finger in the wind " in trying to treat my problem.

It seems to me that we should all inform our doctors to come onto this forum before prescribing us any sort of pills.Ted

• Posted

Have you tried slippery elm 3/4 a day? and aloe vera before a meal?:  I have also gone water filter at pH9 and saline gargles; strict limited diet of fish, fruit vegs, salads, no dairy, no eggs, no wheat, no meat.  Gluten free food.  Also many small meals with ACV tbsp before each.  Lots of water between meals ALKALINE, or after, but not with a meal.  Hope all goes well for you.
  • Posted

There are 2 types of PH test as far as I am aware and I have had both of them over the years. The most common type involves putting a tube down your nose for up to 48hrs so they can measure the reflux. You carry a box around and whenever you experience pain you press the button. That is why you have to come off the medication so you can tell them when you experience pain and from that they can work out if its reflux or something else causing the problem. Believe me that really works as my most recent test showed that it wasn't  reflux causing the pain.

The other type of test involves them leaving a capsule inside you which is placed there during an endscopy. It sends its data to a wireless device which you carry around. Same rules, press a button on the box when you feel pain.

The capsule method is much better because you can eat normally and its easy to sleep with the device. I had a few problems with the tube with certain foods and it wasn't that easy to sleep with.

I also initially took Doperidome as well but we didn't see a real benefit with it and stopped. I just take a higher dose of Lanzoprozole instead

Hope this helps

• Posted

From what I remember, you can still take Gaviscon up until 24 hours before, Best double check though
  • Posted

Thanks Lynne please keep us all informed of your progress.

Derek I will Google it. You have got me worried now.

wknight Thats very interesting I thought it was just a thing you went into hospital for and came out the same day.

This forum is so useful for people that wants to assist themselves and their doctor to determine what their health issue may be. Ted

• Posted

You do leave hospital that day and carry out a normal life. Some people don't like going out of they have the tube down their nose as you look a bit strange.
    • Posted

Thank you. I think I will be one of those staying indoors then.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your comments.  This time next week it will be almost over.

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

Hello Lynne I only know what I have read about the tests but try to keep upbeat cos it will be worse if you are stressed (easier said than done !) likewise with the medications I came off mine for the gastroscopy and didn't notice much change , will be thinking of you. Issy 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.