Ph monitoring and manometry

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. Can anyone share their experience of ph monitoring and manometry?

Can they really find what is wrong inside in a lot more detail than endoscopy?

My endoscopy showed some mild iritation. I been on varied ppis for 8months.

My condition has hardly improved and my chest pain is now in one place and really sharp when it comes.

Im beginning to believe that my issue might not be caused by simply just acid reflux due to excess of it.

Im on 30mg lansoprazole and have cocodamol for pain. Do use gaviscon and am pretty strict with diet.

Did any of them two tests help u find yr answer to cure or am i too hopeful and i cant cure?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had ph monitoring done twice and each time the data has proved very useful. Because it's all time based and you click the box when you are in pain they can see whether pain is related to ph. In my case it wasn't and turned out to be caused by a strained muscle. 

As for a cure, I have found it, well sort of, it's the PPI. It took ages to get the dose right for me to be pain free. At one point I was on 30mg in the morning and 15mg later, you can take quite a bit more. Once I got it settled I slowly reduced it to 30mg in morning, periodically I have flare ups and increase it for a while.

Sounds like you need to experiment some more but the monitoring is really worth having done. They put my capsule in during an endscopy

• Posted

Thank u very much. I hope they decide to do these things for me as nhs takes ages to do things before they believe us.

My worry is gas coming up with pepsin. As dont often feel matter around lower sphinster.

Normal gps dont seem to have a clue. The more one reads the more info there is.

The strained muscle occured to us too. Im not objecting having two issues at the same time and both not helping me.

It did all start after stopping smoking and loads of coughing.

I went cold turkey on fags and even wine became a rare treat. This all 10months ago.

• Posted

Go see you gp and ask about modifying the dose such as 30in the morning 15 at night. I had all my treatment privately as I didn't want to wait for the NHS, leaves my place to someone else. 

• Posted

I have 15mg twice a day as 30mg once a day didnt work.

I cant afford private and no insurance would take me on.

• Posted

Have you changed diet, worked out what foods trigger and do you take the first dose in the morning 30mins before breakfast? Do you go long periods without eating?
    • Posted

Food is hit or miss. The only trigger i found is banana which should be safe. I hardly ever have higj risk food or alcohol. Im mainly on low acid diet.

Im hungry often and i eat regularly. Im trying to follow all the rigjt things recommended for reflux.

I do take my meds with at leadt 30mins prior food.

Why did u need yr ph test more than once?

• Posted

The first time was to confirm my reflux, the second time was many years later when the meds weren't e working and we found the muscle was the problem which we learnt from the ph testing 

• Posted

Can you private message me where did u go and who did u see? We dont know where to start or who to trust. Its even hard to find the prices.

Id really appreaciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.