Ph monitoring and stopping ppis - what to expect

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, I'm having impedance ph testing in August and I've just received the letter giving me an appointment date. The letter seems to suggest that I stop all meds ( including ppis) before the test. I'm worried that this will completely wreck my throat again. I was also under the impression that I would carry on with the ppis while the test was performed. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this test and can give me some pointers? How did you get on stopping the meds? Was it ok? Did you recover afterwards? Also just wondering what to expect. I've heard it's quite a horrible test. At this point I don't care, I just want my symptoms to go away and I suppose this test is the last hurdle before surgery. 

Thanks 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Stella. The purpose of the test is to see if acid is breaking through your oesophageal sphincter and its strength. PPIs lower the strength of the acid so to stay on them would give a false reading. It's not a bad test. The tube is very thin. It can be irritating and it is a relief when it is taken out but on the whole, it's not that bad so don't worry. It sounds like PPIs are working for you. Once you are back on your PPIs you should heal very quickly. Hope this helps, Paula
    • Posted

Hi Lucinia, I think they are concerned that acid isn't the full cause of my symptoms, that's why it's a ph impedance test, as that measures all reflux, not just acid. My symptoms came back horrendously when I cut back on the domperidone and Gaviscon but kept on the esomeprazole. Even so, I'm dreading stopping any meds as I know my mouth will get covered in blisters again and food will get stuck. It's very scary.
  • Posted

I've had the test, uncomfortable at worst. I stopped taking my meds for only 48 hours before the tests then continued afterwards. It was all part of the decision to offer LINX I think I've had every test available which I accept it's the only way the doctors can make the best way forward so I'm in total agreement 
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks so much for your reply. Did you have any acid rebound? I've just had a period of three weeks recovering from damage caused by just cutting down on Gaviscon so stopping ppis for a week terrifies me! Are you in the UK? I'm hoping for Linx surgery, my doc isn't convinced by it but I think it's the right option for me given my circumstances.
    • Posted

Ps, I've had all the tests, too. This one makes a full set I think ;-) 
    • Posted

No  I was fine, they have just discovered that if your on ppis for too long it can increase your chance of barretts. Domperidone disnt work for me

i, in the uk in Devon  why isn't your doctor convinced ? I'm mow part of a lomg term study for LINX  due to the small amount of patients having had it done

• Posted

Who has discovered that long term ppis can increase your chance of barretts? This concerns me - I've been on them for 20 years and my mother had oesophageal cancer.
    • Posted

I can only say what my consultant said, I've been on ppi s for over 30 yrs an d my surgeon said they were never meant to be take. For so long
    • Posted

Hi , my doc didn't go into details but that's a conversation I plan to have with him. Were there any restrictions to having the Linx surgery? I know they only do it at a handful of hospitals and I believe there are restrictions - as in they only take certain patients.  Did it take long for your referral? 

As for the ppi thing, I think long term use can cause benign stomach polyps. Never heard of the Barretts connection. 

• Posted

I do kmow there are restrictions but I'm not sure what they are but they are fairly rigid so I was lucky I fitted the criteria.    I've had 3 colonoscopies over the last 4 yrs and have found 

polyps each time on my bowel but I don't know if they're related my referral was quick 

• Posted

Hi Lovelane, do you have  link for this please? Im on ppis (lansoprozole) and already have barretts. If this is so, Im concerned that ppis could make already existing barretts worse. I know they are not meant to be taken for so long, though ive only been on them for two years.
    • Posted

I don't have a link as it's only something my consultant said it scared the hellout of me I'm just so glad I had LI X.  The only prob I have now is I have terrible gas after I eat it's so uncomfortable and feel bloated but I'm hoping it's something will srllte down in a few weeks
    • Posted

Hi there, I have Barretts too but I'm pretty sure that the ppis don't make it worse, I've done lots of research and only ever come across the benign stomach polyp connection, so don't worry too much. My brother has been on ppis for 20 years and doesn't have Barretts. Same with my mum. If they have told you that you need tablets forever then it may be worth considering surgery. Even if I was fine on tablets ( which I'm not) then I would have gone down the surgery route as I don't want to take them for life.
    • Posted

Hi there, I've got a bad feeling that I won't qualify as I have Barretts - really short segment but it's there. Going to chase it though. It would be good to hear how you are getting on smile
    • Posted

Hi Stella, good and bad really. All the symptoms have completely gone 100 per cent and. No longer need any meds, I'm sleeping  fine no pain discomfort coughing regurgitation or acid.  The only prob post op is I have terrible gas after I've eaten I'm belching terribly and my stomach bloats I'm hoping this will settle Dow soon 
    • Posted

Hi Stella, I dont like the idea of being on ppis long term. So far Ive so far relied on 15mg a.m. and 30 mg p.m. of lansoprazole, with gaviscon advance now and again.

The barretts was only diagnosed two years ago, though i had hiatus hernia and reflux dx'd 28 years ago. No-one then told me i should take any precautions, and as the reflux was silent i didnt know i had a problem until i had a cyst at the top of my windpipe and the barretts was spotted when i had it surgically removed. So ive just been on the ppis two years. I think you're probably right re them not making the barretts worse, but so little seems to be known about how to treat reflux.

Mine is a short segment too, and ive been told that i probably wouldnt get the surgery. Situation is also complicated as I have COPD and both that the reflux make each other worse, plus COPD meds (prednisolone when i have a flare-up and antibiotics) cause yet more reflux. 

But Im watching this thread with interest - thanks to all who are posting smile

• Posted

I would ask about surgery, especially if you are expected to be on ppis for the rest of your life. I feel exactly as you do, don't want to be on these tablets forever. I'm on 20 mg Esomeprazole morning and night ( it was double that but I didn't feel any benefit from a double dose) plus Domperidone 4x per day plus Gaviscon Advance 6x per day. It's all very depressing as unless I rigidly follow this I get my sore throat back. Silent reflux is awful as you can't even identify trigger foods as by the time your throat is sore the damage is already done elsewhere. I have horrendous burning pain in my stomach when I have a cup of tea - wasn't like this before the ppis.

Definitely enquire about surgery though. It may be a bit of a life changer for you x

• Posted

I'm sure I've read that it gets better. I've had a bad few days of bad throat and I find it all so depressing. It's good to hear that there is some hope out there. This whole thing has made me so depressed. I get so scared when it all flares up. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.