PH VALUE OF HERBAL TEAS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi does anyone have a list of PH values of herbal teas.  I tried camomile and redbush but really did not like them.  At the moment I am drinking green tea with apple and pear.  However when browsing on line this morning I saw that green tea has caffeine.  Anyone know if this correct?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi libralady - yes green tea has caffeine, same as standard black tea.

I was told by my tai chi tutor not to steep it for more than 3 minutes, also to let the water go off the boil before pouring it onto the tea - less bitter that way.

Regards, AT

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I have cut down to one cup of ordinary black tea aday.  Fortunately I don't like strong tea, so don't steep it very long.  The same with the green tea.  Do you know if it has caffeine am I doing wrong in drinking it for silent reflux?
  • Posted

I bought some Ph strips and tested 3 herbal teas.  Nettle tea Ph7, Fennel tea Ph6, Camomila tea Ph6. Can't say I like them but it is better than heartburn and you get used to it.  Unfortunatley, I think the nettle tea is giving me headaches. I avoid any form of "proper" tea and don't even want to try it in case it gives me heartburn - not worth it.
    • Posted

Hi Thanks for your reply.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it I do not get heartburn with the silent reflux just bitter tast in mouth loads of throat mucus which is worse in the morning and after meals.  I am afraid camomile I can't stand it but will try the others.  It is a bit expensive trying out all these things when you are a pensioner.  Looking at Dr Kaufmans diet she does say you can have one cup of ordinary tea each day.  Where did you buy the ph strips from?
    • Posted

Hi Libralady, I have the same symptoms as

You, no heartburn, but mucus in my throat everytime I eat, sore throat and a feeling of

It closing a bit as well, going to see consultant tomorrow as had an untrasound of my throat and barium swallow.

• Posted

Hello,  Hope it all goes well for your tomorrow. Let me know how you get on.

Have not been for any tests so far but see my gp next week.  I am on omeprazole first it was 20mg before evening meal and now this past week 20mg before breakfast as well.  

• Posted

My understanding is that the only two teas Dr Koufman recommends are  chamomile and rooibos teas.  The others are acidic.  (I'm sure there are other herbal teas that have not been tested.) Lemon zest, just the peel, is a way to make chamomile more interesting  and the zest does note make the tea acidic like the juice of the lemon does.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I checked again and if you google Dr Koufmans two week induction reflux diet this is where I saw it.  Anyway I have ordered a copy of the Dropping acid cookbook.  With the camomile and the rooibos tea I can't stand the smell let alone the taste.  Guess I will have to buy some strips and test some.
    • Posted

I can't say I like the chamomile and rooibos teas either.  If you find some other decent teas, please post!

Susan

• Posted

H,i just to let you and others know I emailed a well known tea company won't mention the name and this is what they said The final ph value depends on the water used and how strongly brewed.  Green teas including my apple and green pear are similar to black tea around 6-7  I assume it is because the  caffeine there is a problem fro us so might have to think again about the one I am drinking at least for now.  Peppermint (which we can't drink) camomile and roobibos ph 7.  Lemon and ginger surprisingly 6.9 and red fruit infusions 3 - 3.5.  

Hope this helps.  I suppose it is all trial and error.  I still have 1 cup of ordinary black tea weak with skimmed milk each day.  Thank heavens I don't like coffee because from what I have heard it is hard to give up.  In general it would be better if everyone drunk less caffeine beverages and more water anyway.

• Posted

Hi Susan Received my copy of Dropping Acid this morning and on page 57 at the bottom it says I cup of coffee a day is fine doesn't mention tea though but does say green tea is ok if lightly brewed.
  • Posted

You can buy Ph strips from Amazon at a very reasonable price. Many are sent from Hong Kong but not all

• Posted

Green tea is a good PH tea. Drink the decaf- caffeine can bug LPR. Also, any pure herbal tea is good with PH. Outside of that, regular tea with caffeine is on the acid side. Just did the urine strips to check PH!  Very helpful if your worried about overall acidity!  Mine was 5.5. Not great but you can move the needle quickly!  You can Google and pull up the list of every food. Just do "food PH chart" Good luck!  AVal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.