Phelgm everyday with BX.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I get phelgm everyday is this normal with bronchiectasis.    After about a hour the rest of the day I’m fine.   Told my doctor he didn’t have a answer.        I said once before doctor in USA don’t know to much regarding this 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you can cough up phlegm everyday. 

You can also learn exercises to clear your lungs.

Swimming is good also if you’re still in shape, fit to swim, 

• Posted

I have lots of phlegm every day too. I do breathing exercises and huffing to clear it away. It's really important to clear your lungs as much as you can. That way you don't get so many infections. Hope you get help.

• Posted

Yes! I was diagnosed in 1996 . For me its very difficult to fet the mucus up.mine is so thick that difficult to get it out! That is why get pneumonia so often!

Take care

• Posted

Help is at hand.

They have put me on s new drug which breaks down the phlegm. I take 6 a day. 

It is very good, works fine. They are orange pellets. No side effects,

They are called Carbocisteine.

I am in UK. Hospitals are using this drug too.

Ask you dr.

———

• Posted

Or if you're in the States, Mucus Relief, 3 in the morning, 3 in the evening. All the huffing & breathing exercises and drink tons of water.

Last year we had a rousing thread going, dissertations on the color and consistency of our phlegm. Perhaps it is time to revisit the loathsome topic?

• Posted

Yes Papillion, your doctor is hopelessly clueless about bronchiectasis if he/she has no knowledge of the relationship of sputum/mucus/phlegm (call it what you will) with the disease. Production of same is a distinguishing feature of the disease brought about by distortions or widening of the aeoli (think of them as the 'twigs' of the lung if you compare a lung to a tree graphically) such that the natural mechanism you were born with to clear your lungs is no longer so effective.

As others hear have said, managing the expulsion of same is the key to controlling the impact of the disease.

Hope you have enough resources to find a doctor (or preferably pulmonologist) who does know something. Perhaps the USA contributors on here can helo in that direction.

In any event you can become your own expert by reading up on all th einformation on the internet, including all recent year backthreads on this Patient forum. Maybe then you give some free pointers to your ill-informed doctor!  

:-) Good luck with arriving at a personal management programme with or without your doctor's help. 

• Posted

Re: U.S. mucus thinners, I forgot to mention: "mucus relief" is an OTC that's been around for decades. It is dirt cheap at Costco: $10.90 for 400 tablets. It's tablet guafenisin, the same med sold for a fortune as "mucinex." Because I use 180 tabs/month, it takes less than 2 months to pay off the Costco $60 membership fee since I'd need the same number of mucinex tabs daily. Of course, Target, Walgreen's, Walmart all have their hilarious (to me) generics of a generic, which is what mucinex is. Still it would cost $30+ monthly to use their generics IF I caught them in stock & on sale. Not on sale $40-$45/month.

You might not need as high a dose as I need. My pulmonologist prescribed it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.