Phenothiazine ( Phenergan) for Insomnia from Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've recently been prescribed Phenergan for my insomnia.

I've had uncontrollable Anxiety from Mirtazapine withdrawal which caused Insomnia and Depression.

I've taken the Phenergan the last 2 days and I've slept 12 hours and had to drag myself out of bed. I've had terrible dizziness and a hungover feeling that's lasted about 4 hours afterwards before easing off.

ive gone from no sleep to too much sleep Will this feeling of light headedness ease because I can't cope with no sleep but I also cannot cope with feeling hungover.

Any input is appreciated.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I take Phenergan each night alongside Mirtazapine , i was given a few tablets every now an again back in 2015 , i could have them whenever i wanted them from the psychiatrist , they did help me sleep through the night as though the tablet is mainly for a different ailment it is prescribed for sedation , then it was put on my weekly prescription so i take it every evening now - 25mg alongside my Mirtz 45mg , i haven't really seen any positive from it just lately but that might just be that i am going through a difficult time , i have been given extra so i can take 2 at night time . it is possible that once the tablet has got used to your body an mind an has settled then your body may adjust , you could maybe take half a tablet an see how that copes with your body ? take care x

• Posted

Can you please share your mirtazapine dose and how long did it take to taper the medicine?
    • Posted

I did it cold turkey and looking back I wouldn't be able to do it that way again. I've been an emotional wreck because of it all the stress I put my body through. The Mirt withdrawals have caused so many debilitating serious symptoms that I just want to leave behind and get well again so I can move on with my life

Once you have Mirtazapine in your system you have to do a very slow slow taper because the Anxiety gets too extreme. I was unsure and scared about everything and I'm a grown up. I would never take a mind altering drugs like Mirtazapine again, I'm angry that people get Miss - diagnosed with physcreatric problems when it's the Mirtazapine that makes the symptoms worse.

I hope you manage to get off the Mirt as it's a nasty drug and you shouldn't have to live feeling that way. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Vikki

Sorry to hear of your insomnia after finishing Mirt ~ renowned rebound insomnia is the worst symptom after stopping Mirt.

I wonder what dose of Phenergen you are taking?  They come in different doses of course.  You might find that the 10mg will be enough to get you to sleep, and if you aren't able to stay asleep it might be possible to say take another 10 mg around

2 am (ish).  Rather than taking a big dose of say 50mg at once before sleep.  I think they come in 10mg, 25 mg and possibly 50mg?  Not sure.  So half of 25 mg would be ok I think.

If you can get to sleep alright but lay wake in the middle of the night, then just take

10 mg (or 12.5 mg) in the middle of the night - you might want to keep an eye on the time you are taking it though, to enable you to wake at the right time.

Use a pill cutter if your tablet is 50/25 mg, cutting with a knife doesn't really work.    Remember you are taking another med with a big histamine block like Mirt' has, so in an ideal world we should be letting our system repair without more anti histamine.  But having said that it is a good remedy to aid sleep (!)  Can't win really if you have terrible insomnia, bless you x

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Calmer.

I've started taking half a 25mg tablet 4 hours before going to bed to give the drug time to release its affects in my body then giving the drug the time to leave my body before having to get up.

I just don't seem to have a good balance going on in my brain since having the Mirtazapine withdrawals. It's been hellish.

• Posted

So sorry, sounds hurrendous.  

Do you manage a nights sleep with that system - taking it 4 hours before bed?  

• Posted

No I didn't manage to get to sleep easy taking it 4 hours before bed so I'm back to taking 12:5mg as I go to bed and I sleep a full 8 hours.

Now my body's got use to the new meds I'm taking a 25mg every 3rd Night or so or when I'm feeling less sleepy. Fingers crossed this could be the end of my insomnia and I'll be able to function properly again and get on with my life again because the passed 6 months have been horrendous.

Thanks again for reassuring me over these past few months, your help has really been a god send.

Good luck with your own ailments. I wish you all the best for your future. Vikki

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.