Phlebotomy schedule......adequate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

just diagnosed....working on treatment plan. my levels ferritin 1100 TS 70,

asymptomatic. i weigh 115 lbs and not sure what my toleration would be. Did anybody with similar

figures have results with bimonthly phlebotomy? Any ideas on whether this would be effective?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Generally with a level of 1100 and TS% of 70, the vx would be weekly. Perhaps the dr is concerned that your weight may cause a problem. Otherwise it is necessary to maintain a level of Hb within the reference range. It is all trial and error, so all you can do is see how you go.

• Posted

I am in the UK and I was diagnosed at SF 1,500 and TS 90% and my gastro put me on a fortnightly phlebotomy/venesection. I told him he could be as aggressive as he liked but he said it's best not to rush.

• Posted

Oh, I like that answer. Do you have any followup ferritin results yet? Thanks so

much for your input...appreciated. W ishing you well.

• Posted

It took me about 15 months of fortnightly vs to get down to SF 50. My TS% began to come down eventually but went back up to 94% a year ago. It's now 50% and I hope it stays there. My gastro wants me to keep the SF below 80 and I now give blood every 4-5 months. It's now 3 years since my first treatment.

• Posted

hello all again been a few months

Sheryl is spot on again

weekly vs way to go

heres my experience

august 2018 ferettin 1200

weekly vs until christmas left me wiped out

since then levels , 38,51, 68 no vs since christmas im much stronger but suffer with back and hip pain

golf days are gone but taking SHERYL advice never give up thought id never be able to travel again but been in USA and plan to he back in australia in 2020

my diagnosis came about after a pulmonary embolism almost killed me in jan 2018 just one brilliant doctor went the extra mile

you can lead a normal life have a steak and a beer

i am due tests again next month and imagine levels will have gone up but as long as now im in the range of 100 thats ok it was moved up yo that from 50 when i hit those levels

stay healthy all

cheers TOM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.