PHN and MS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yes the shingles at 49 going onto 54 with pain on the left side of my lower torso. from about the ceter of my spine all the way to my naval on the left side. Now mind you, I have MS. This complicates things to say the least. I got the shingles, after that went away I was hopeful, the pain would go away. Well it didnt and that was four years ago. I have tried everything. The pain still reapears every morning. So will this pain ever stop, I have gotten use to managing and this way I am afforded a moment or two of joy. If you want to  talk about it, I am open. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have the pain in the same place. I have been having the pain since 2008. After taking several medications the thing that works best for me is Aspercreme with 4% Lidocaine. I find that heat makes it worse and can't wear tight clothes around my waist. When I wash my hair using a shower makes it hurt. For the most part I have found ways to live with it. I sometimes will put a wet face rag in the freezer. Then when really cold place it where the pain is and get relief. Wish I could tell you it will go away.....Hope this helps

• Posted

Michael

I sympathise with you, as I have been a Post Herpetic Neuralgia sufferer now for two years. 

I have discovered a topical mixture which relieves the pain and prevents a recurrence of new shingles outbreaks. However there is no cure for our problem.

My topical mixture gives immediate relief and allows me to function normally. It avoids the need for analgesics which can have long term harmful affects.

I used Ibuprofen tablets initially, but after two months I found this mixture to be adequate for pain relief. I now apply this mixture twice daily, as a normal routine.

The mixture is 250 grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream, two 5 gram tubes of Aciclovir Cream, and 65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel. Mix thoroughly, and apply sparingly to the affected area.

If these ingredients are not available locally, please advise me and I will provide the formula so that alternatives can be found.

I am sure you will find this mixture very helpful in overcoming your problem.

Regards Ray.

• Posted

I am interested in finding your alternative formula. I don't want to go to Dr for the Acicilovor or Denvorub.

• Posted

Caseysue

If you are in Australia, these items are readily available from discount chemists, without prescription.

Aciclovir is a treatment for Cold Sore virus, which is closely related to the Shingles virus.

Invite Vitamin E Cream is special, as it has 50 mg of glycerol per gram and does not form a skin with continued use, as other creams do.

Dencorub Heat Gel has 26 percent Methyl Salicylate and 7 percent Menthol,

so it is an effective painkiller, and quite cheap.

If you are not in Australia you may have to obtain the Aciclovir by prescription.

This treatment is well worth a try

Kind regards, Ray.

• Posted

This may seem strange, but, I believe you are vitamin deficient.  Vitamin C is an amazing natural antiviral, so that alone start taking 2 to 3 Thousand mg a day (500 mg at a time).  I'd take all basic vitamins, B complex, D3, A (beta carotene), and Omega 3s as well.  A whole food (organic) diet would be great also.  I've known vitamins (especially C) for infections, asthma, colds, flu, for years, going without them.  Shingles is a viral infection, so I'd assume PHN is similar and will be helped. I certainly would try and see.  I only had a mild shingles case at 55, in all these years (I'm 67).  Hope that gives some hope.

• Posted

Hope you are feeling better.  I have found vitamins B2, B6 and a herb called ButterBurr help a lot.  Best of luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.