PHN and painkillers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed Duloxitene on top of Tramadol Gabapentin and Amitryptilline for PHN.....I saw a consultant about 6  weeks ago he was concerned about the cocktail of drugs I was on he said they'd be interacting with one another and that it wasn't good for me. I assumed that he wrote to my GP he said he would.....my GP then prescribes me Duloxitine on top of the cocktail and put me on suicide watch as apparently Duloxitene has a tendency to make some people suicidal. I took one on top of the cocktail I was already on and the next 48 hrs was a living hell. I've got over it and now they're wanting me to come of the Tramadol .....I'm totally confused as they the doctors told me I had to take the tramadol etc otherwise I'd be in pain now they don't seem bothered about the pain.....I wish they could walk in my shoes ??

4 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Catherine,

The Duloxetine with the other medications certainly causes many interactions. Has your GP informed you that you must come off the tramadol? I would ask him to stop one of the other meds rather than the tramadol. Tramadol is the actual painkiller or analgesic. Gabapentin or Amitryptyline is the one I would ask your physician about selecting. The problem is they are all sedating and act together to sedate you much more. I don't know your doses, medical history, how long you have been on these medications, etc, but if you are still suffering in pain, advocate for yourself....

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry ....I saw my GP yesterday he wants me to cut down on the Tramadol by one a week until I'm down to four a day. He says I won't be so sedated and depressed, the down side is the pain maybe worse. You can't win can you its either one or the other. I'm waiting to see a Neurologist (that may take some time as there's a long waiting list at the moment) maybe he'll be able to help more. One minute they're throwing painkillers at me like they're sweets telling me I have to take them regularly for them to work, then they're saying it's not good for you taking all these different painkillers, now they're taking me off some. Do they not all go to the same school....one GP is of the opinion the virus is gone it's dormant again....she says my understanding of it is all wrong. My other GP reads it like a horror story....now he's backtracking ....god they confuse me. Your right Merry I have to be my own judge only I know how I feel and what's best for me. Think I'll take some if not all of my power back from them and do what's best for me. 

Thanks again Merry xxx

• Posted

Hi Catherine, I've sent you a private message. Look forward to hearing from you soon, love Pollyanna. X

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

Hope I can finish this message before that annoying commercial interference on this site...this is my third try!

So sorry to hear of your suffering, and frustration with your doctors. I wonder if your doctor thinks you're over shingles and are just depressed since he/she has you on two antidepressants, and wants to stop the tramadol. These days they're not very good at explaining treatment options, plus most don't really understand shingles, and I don't understand why they don't di the research!

I'm finally free of pain, but I'll never forget those two months of agonizing pain...tramadol was the only thing that came close to giving me any relief, it is an opioid and that's what it takes to remedy nerve pain.

When were you diagnosed and where is your rash?

I am 5 months out from diagnosis, but still have extreme fatigue. They say REST is the only answer.

Sure hope you're getting plenty rest and will soon begin to feel better.

This is a great site for info snd support.

We're blessed with a very knowledgable nurse practitioner, Merry Juliana, who suffers with Herpes Zoster.

Peace & Blessings,

Joyce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.