PHN and the future (supplements? Your experience?)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys, so I had shingles about 2 months ago. I’m 32. Had it on the back of my thigh. Received treatment late because I didn’t know what it was, I thought at first I had done something to my back maybe a trapped nerve. Went to see a chiropractor, showed him my rash while I was there, he said it was probably shingles, so went straight to see a doctor who confirmed it was shingles. Had already had the rash for 3 or 4 days at this point (pain much longer) and that night was the peak I think. Was on the bed paralysed in pain, I think went into shock as I started shivering and so on.

Anyway, worst pain of my life. Pain was constant, all the way down my left leg and radiated to my pelvis. Hardly slept for 5 days at its peak.

2 months on, I still have numbness at the back of my left thigh and edge of my left foot. Not in agony or anything, don’t feel the need for painkillers or anything. In fact I came off painkillers quite early after the peak. Just annoying and worrying. Some days are worse than others, usually like an ache that gets worse the longer I stand or walk. Gives me a bad back too, like stiffness in my lower back because I’m walking funny to compensate for the ache down my leg. Today I walked the most I have since I came down with shingles. Went to city centre and was walking for like 4 hours and after that my leg was killing me. Currently laid up with a hot water bottle to ease the ache. I also get muscle cramps down the same leg, I didn’t use to before.

I’ve made some changes since the shingles. Diet changes and taking supplements.. nothing major, just a multi vit, 2g of vit c, fish oils, probiotics and 5htp (after shingles I started having panic attacks which I haven’t had since I was a teenager) Also eating a lot healthier, lots of fruit and veggies, snacking on nuts and so on. And I must say, I feel a lot better.

What changes did you make after your shingles outbreak? Any supplements you recommend?

What was your PHN experience like for you? Similar story to mine?

I know PHN is usually at the 3 month mark, so there is a change I might get better by then. But preparing for the worst, I’m pretty sure I have some kind of nerve damage due to the numbness and muscle cramps

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

are you sure your pain is PHN it sounds like it mimicks PAD.

• Edited

well i'm not 100% sure, but i dont think so. I didnt have these symptoms before shingles and i dont meet any of the risk factors for PAD, i dont smoke, i dont have diabetes, i dont have high blood pressure and im not overweight. i also exercised before shingles, did boxing.

numbness and muscle cramps can also be signs of nerve damage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.