phn cause treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

On the 22 Dec 05 I contracted shingles. This a culmination of a divorce, the death of my brother, the sale of my home, and retirement. Some Christmas! I did not know what hit me so I did not get the anti-virals in time. Two years + on and the pain is still there and just as intense. I've tried all the treatments but with little success. I'm now on Lidocoam? Patches which I had to fight for. Too expensive said my trust! They were eventually prescribed by my pain clinic who seem to carry more weight than my GP in these matters. Just last week I had a steriod injection near my spine (Paravertebral/nerve root block). Thus far this has done no good and may be aggravating in the short time. I recognise this is early days yet though!

The pain from this condition is constant and can be unbearable and totally debilitating. It affects your whole life and your ability to function. Yet, from doctors, nurses, employers, friends, and even family, there appears to be complete ignorance of this fact. Most seem to nod their heads but continue as if you are exaggerating. This really helps you to cope!!

Reading these other accounts, my two years seem small fry. I have great sympathy for others with this horrible affliction. I just hope mine clears up more quickly. It would be nice if the problem were discussed more widely however. Once upon a time we encouraged our children to contract Chicken Pox. I wouldn't do that now! How many employers think their employees are exaggerating or worse I wonder? How many careers are affected? How many relationships?

Spreading a little education here might generate more understanding and tolerance.

I wish you all well!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've thought about asking my dentist about the numbing gel they use before they give the shot to deaden the nerve before any procedure. With this type pain one thinks of everything, strange as it seems! I'll go a few hours throughout the day when my pain is less consuming as long as I'm not too stressed out. But it's always there. I guess that's what makes it difficult for others to comprehend, I try to act "normal" and not talk about it much. Then it gets worse when I try to get comfortable enough to go to sleep. I won't go to bed until the amitriptyline and clonazapam have kicked in with the third dose of 1600mg of gabapentin. The deep burning pain wakes me several time throughout the night along with the shocking type pain. Sometimes I'll get a stabbing pain in the arch of my foot which is pretty severe. I always get that "sandpaper rubbing  on raw skin" feeling anytime I touch the affected area or when anything brushes against it. I won't go outside if it's a windy day unless my leg is completely covered. Have you tried acupuncture? I haven't yet but was considering it. But then I also think about going to the Amazon Rainforest or some other remote location and finding a miracle cure!! Stay safe.
  • Posted

Yes, yes, and yes! Except for your personal problems that might have caused your shingles, we all feel the same. The constant pain, lack of effective treatment and drugs, and lack of understanding goes with the territory! I've experienced it just like you said, and don't understand why the medical community does not do more to help with this conditio. I guess it's just too expensive to devote the time and research to a cure or pain control. In the mean time we just have to keep on like we are now, not giving up hope for help! I wish you well and know you are not alone in the suffering from this terrible pain.

Regards,

Patricia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.