PHN on face

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had shingles 2-months ago now I have PHN on 1-side of face                                    I've had it for 2-months. My chin lip & half my tongue is numb & I have pain almost 24 hours.  My chin will also itch I itch it & it hurts to touch my chin. I thought I had canker sores so I went to Dr. no canker sores. I had shingles in my mouth so that's why I have pain.        I take Tylenol  & I'm gabapentin. This is so frustrating it makes me so depressed.         What does everyone else do for the pain & frustration ?  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your situation. Stay with this blog, there are people who can help just by discussing their situation. I've had PHN for three years on the right side of my head. The pain has changed in the passage of time, hardly noticed it. Now it's a boring dull headache with sudden spikes of sharp pain that  last for about 30 seconds, start to finish. I take Gabapentin, tramadol and Nortriptyline at night. There is an anti-depressant too which is not just a 'happy pill' but it has a physical effect. So you should move into more effective pain meds if you keep pushing your dr. Another thing, the pain gets lesser as time goes by. There'll be other people here who can help you. Take some strength in the fact that there are many people suffering from PHN and they have a lot of experience and good advice.

• Posted

Thank you for your message. I'm glad I found this blog.   I tell people how I feel what's going on & say things are different everyday. Some people probably think I'm nuts except my husband & family. 

I did get bell palsy for a week too.  I thought I had canker sores but the pain in my mouth was because I had shingles in my mouth.  I found that out after going to an ENT the Dr. looks at me & says you don't have canker sores ( 1 that was almost gone)  I was beginning to think maybe I'm a hypochondriac.                  I also have myasthenia gravis which makes it hard for me to take some medication.                                What's the shortest time of PHN that you heard of ?

Well you have a good day or nite depending on where you live.

• Posted

Sooner or later we all have to face the reality that PHN doesn't go away, it's all about accepting. maybe that slight shift in attiude heps in the long run. These associated conditions you have will become manageable in the course of time, a lot depends on the relationship we have with medical professionals, you will get registered in a Pain Clinic and long term situations are dealt with there. So stay cheerful, really it's not as bad as you think.

• Posted

I am so sorry , I will be praying for you!
    • Posted

Thank you I appreciate that !  Are you going thru any of this stuff ?
  • Posted

Hi Wiggyann,

PHN is tough stuff, and requires us to try different things until we find the methods that work.  Nothing will rid you of pain completely, so you have to look for what decreases the pain some, and for what helps you get through it.  For the itching:  This sounds too easy, but try drinking a good-sized glass of water and waiting about 30 minutes.  I have periods of intense itching, but find that this will stop it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.