phobias

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just realized after being on here that i have a phobia of taking pills. i ve had such bad reaction to so many, i am now unwilling to take more even though I am sick.  

anyone else have phobias? do you know what caused it?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I'm the same with pills. I seem to always get side effects and bad reactions, nobody believes me and just says it's in my head but my Mother is exactly the same. I'm fine with like paracetamol but that's about it, even then I limit the amount of those I take and only take if absolutely necessary.

• Posted

I have a horrible phobia of vomiting. Several years ago when I was a kid I got s horrible virus not unlike the norovirus that made me vomit everything I ate and drank for a week. Ever since then if I feel the slightest bit sick I panic which of course makes it worse but it's so hard not to remember that time when I was so sick.

I also don't like big spiders but the vomiting is much worse.

• Posted

i never used to be affraid of taking medication, until i was put on sertraline, and it made me really sick, shake and generally made my anxiety so much worse. I was then put on simular medications to see if theyd help, but the same happend again, so now im terrified to take anything other than paracetemol. I think one of the problems for me was that my doctor never warned me of the side affects to these pills, which then scared me when i started getting sick etc
    • Posted

I read the flyers all the time, but i was put in the ward and they made me take meds in order to get out. it made my heart race so baldy they had to give me xanax to calm me down, they did this for the 2 weeks i was there. I had to act like I was OK in order to be released.  As soon as  I left, I put them in the trash.  Have not taken much since.  When I do, I read those labels like my life depends on it.  Cuz it does.
  • Posted

Ditto!

Accept my medication phobia is "part time" as it only effects me sometimes and I have a fear of taking them through irrational thinking that the medication is in fact making me ill or that I will have a bad reaction to them and die. Rather drastic I know.

Haven't yet found a way around it so I go through periods of being on and off meds which in itself is a struggle.

I also have fear of getting ill physically because I always think I'm going to die, fear of hospitals because my mind automatically relates death with hospitals and sometimes I think I'll go in with one problem and come out with loads more due to other ill peopl.i also have issues with the cold. It makes me sad and insecure mentally. I also think I'm going to freeze to death if my skin isn't warm to touch so overall I have a massive fear/phobia of death and illness.

Also phobia of cotton. Anything cotton. Even typing it is giving me tingles. It's cringy. That's it for me

• Posted

Hi Forest Flower, love your name btw smile

I am the oppicite, death sound so beautiful to me. I have thought about it almost every day since I was 7 when the trauma in my life finally hit a wall.

I have several disease that are very painful most of the time, with occasional repreves. Like today!  So when in those flares, I want nothing more then to die and be out of pain. IF I took the steroids, I might feel better, but I am terrified of the side effects.

It is not the deadly part I worry about, it is the process of being sickened by them, making things worse that I have trouble with. 

Because of the celiacs, I cant have gluten, and they put gluten in SO many drugs as a binder AND they don't have to lable it like all the foods do. That makes me really mad!  When I get gluten, in makes the muscle disease hurt 100 fold. There is nothing like it, it is pure torture. It is cruel to make people live with it.  So i know my fear is real to some degree.  

a few years back, maybe 4 or 5, I was close to dead for 4 days, i was on life support. I saw my husband and it was delightful, until I woke.

Cotton!  Do you know where that phobia originated? There is usually an origen. At least for me there is.

Thanks for sharing smile

• Posted

I have the same phobia for the same reason. I took a bad reaction to an anti depressant years ago and refuse to touch meds at all, therapy works for me and no nasty side effects or reactions
  • Posted

If you have a phobia taking pills tell your GP, you are not alone I understand that many people are like that and can be prescribed Soluable medications or a tincture, in fluid. Your problem I hard somewhere can be treated
    • Posted

it is not so much the pills as it is the fear of the poison in the pills.  I have been very sickend by them in the past.  I will be seeing my therapist today and will discuss it with her.  See if she can help me see things in a differnt light.  I know I need to be on the steroids, but i am terrified of negetive reaction.  Just Terrified! I sabatouge my life with fear. 

Thanks for sharing, if you have other thoughts or ideas, let me know!

• Posted

Agreed its not the pill itself, it's the substances within

• Posted

Keep a hold

It is all to do with informed choices, good luck 

Keep a hold, I asked myself what would my life be like if I did not take my medications. For me it is a no brainer really

• Posted

when my husband was a live, he was taking about 20 meds a day plus injections that I gave to him. I do not want to live my life like that, but there may come a time where my choices are limited.  i am in pain every day, but not enough to go on pills, yet . . .💜

• Posted

thank you everyone for sharing!  It is nice to know I am not alone in this fear of stuff. It does not seem reasonable to many because they don't experience it.  

Hugz to you all!

• Posted

Yes, and yes...an awful adverse reaction...so I learn not just all of the names of the medication, I discuss with the doc which active ingredient he attributes with the awful outcome.

I am unable to take penicillin but the doc told me to also avoid sulfa based and cephlasporin because they are so closely related to penicillin.

Pain meds...I like to remember my name, so I take half of what the doc tells me to take.

Our bodies react and change no matter what we put inside of them

kind regards

judith

• Posted

i often have allergic reactions to drugs, hives and rashes mosly. My grandfather was one of the first 10 folks to recieve Peniciline. Pretty cool, drugs have helped many folks, just not me too much.  Antibiotics have kept me alive many times though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.