Phobias

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have aniexty so bad lately.. mostly to do with my heart.. had the doctor check for every thing possible.. got sick last week and was hard to breath.. out of nowhere I'll choke then start gasping for air.. go to drink something goes down wrong pipe I gasp for air.. was sleeping a few nights back woke up gasping for air.. can't eat or drink cause I'm afraid I will choke.. I have trouble swallowing and I'm afraid my throats will close.. been to doctors she assures me this is not gonna happen but I'm not convinced.. went to ENT and he put a scope down my nose to throats and didn't say anything was wrong .. I worry constantly about this that's I'm gonna suffocate or that I'll stop breathing.. I feel a knot in my throats everything gets stuck.. ugh this is torture.. anyone else????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Feeling a knot in throat is a very common anxiety symptom. I'm sure that probably doesn't help much, but just know that you're not alone with it and that it is just your mind tricking you.

• Posted

I'm afraid to eat anything cause I'm afraid it will get stuck plus it's like I'm afraid I'll gasp for air! This is really the worst don't wish this on anyone

• Posted

Honestly the only way to really help yourself is to make yourself face your fear.. You have been told you're okay, now you need to push your body to believe it. Eat something small and show yourself that you're okay.. Once your body realizes you're not scared, the symptom will completely go away.

Maybe start with something like yogurt or applesauce, then have eggs or something soft. I think that way it would calm you a bit knowing that there really isn't any chunks to get stuck or anything

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this symptom, Rose. It is quite common for anxiety sufferers to have problems swallowing. Sometimes the mouth will dry out to the point where you need water to swallow, and other times you'll feel a little lump in your throat. This is very common, but it's still awful to deal with. My suggestion would be to drink as much water throughout the day as you can, and try your best to eat soft foods and snacks. Anxiety will take a lot out of you...so be sure to refuel your body when possible. This will pass in time. I promise. smile 

Hugs xxx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.