Photosensitivity with methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am interested to know if any others notice sensitivity to sun, or have become more prone to sunburn?

I have been using methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil) for a couple of years now.

My work has been mostly indoors for the last 20 years and I am quite pale skinned. Here in New Zealand we're beginning to enter the summer season. In the last few weeks I have had a couple of days of outdoor activity when I didn't cover up as much as I ought to. I find that my sun-exposed skin now reacts with strong inflammation, followed quickly by days of persistent itching and reddening and then quite patchy pigmentation. No peeling though.

I know that photosensitivity is listed as a possible side effect for both methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, but I wonder whether many others actually experience this and have to guard against it? Is this common to all of us?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes, most of the Ra meds if you read the side effects increase sensitivity to light and sunburn. Some more then others. Proper sunblock is pretty important.

• Posted

i certainly have sensitivity to sunlight i have to be careful to put plenty of sunblock on or stay out of the sun altogether i am in hydroxechlorequne and until recently when i developed liver cirhosis was in methotrexate

• Posted

Hi, I reckon photosensitivity can be a problem with RA and the medication used, I've been on sulfasalazine for years and developed physical urticaria and I'm sure I am sensitive to the Sun, I always cover up well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.