Physical innabilty to eat.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a friend who's had depression for many years now, somewhere in the middle of this year she developed a bad eating habit where she cant seem to bring food to her mouth, she gets hungry but is passes quite fast. and when she does get the food in her mouth its only in small amounts.

I want to be able help, maybe by making a food that she'll defiantly eat and help her with a eating routine.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raion,

​Thank you for trying to help your friend any way possible. Your friend seem to have an eating disorder and in those cases it is very difficult to actually do something about yourself. Have you tried both seeing a therapist or going to emergency? How is she managing to pass the day without any food at all?

​I would highly suggest you seek professional support because her case is not usual at all. If you feel like elaborating more then feel free to do so.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Kun,

She used to go to a therapist but stopped as she did get much better. But then this came up, I could try asking her if she'd consider going back and whether or not I could go with. I'm trying to figure that out as well, she mostly just drinks water, it might be that she's not exactly active, mostly sitting and doing art, but she should be more fatigued.

I'll try my best to get her to go back to the therapist. And unfortunately there's not much to elaborate on. She just simply stares at her food, lifts a helping up but puts it back down after taking it to her mouth.

• Posted

At this stage I would highly suggest she goes to emergency or a hospital rather than a therapist. I don't know for how long this has been but I don't think this is sustainable at all, she might be losing weight at an alarming rate.

Did she try maybe drinking her calories, milk has some calories and is mainly water, or maybe a smoothie with fruits and other ingredients? She could gradually drink that throughout the day if it doesnt cause her any vomitting or stomach pain. Apart from that I am out of suggestion sadly as this requires professional help which she should seek for as soon as possible.

Maybe someone here from the forum can reply back from experience. I hope your friend can get well soon and thanks for taking care of her, this sure means the world for her.

• Posted

Surprisingly not, yes she's thinner than she used to but that was over the course of several months. She moved to shakes when she first started out but that didn't last long.

I'll try to get here some help. Thanks for trying to help Kun.

• Posted

Hi Raion. Bulimia is the flip side of the coin of anorexia so her not eating is her going from one extreme to the other. She's either binging and throwing up or starving. Either way she has to have emergency intervention please get her to the hospital and keep us posted. We really do care. Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.