Physical symptoms

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hello all. I've had anxiety and panic disorder on and off since I was 17. I'm turning 21 soon. I lived without any panic attacks for about 2 years, and then in August it came back with a vengeance. I moved to London for modeling in April from Cape Town. It didn't go too well and I was depressed, I gained weight and tried drugs for the first time. One night I did too much MDMA and ccocaine and I thought I was going to die. That's when my panic attacks came back again and I haven't been the same since. I've been to all kinds of doctors, GPs, psychologists, homeopaths, acupuncturists, osteopaths, cranio sacral therapists, spiritual healers etc, all have helped in their own way, but I'm still struggling with the physical symptoms of anxiety. I've had anxiety manifest in so many different forms, from headaches, to numbness to joint pain, to dizziness, etc etc. And whenever I get use to the symptom and learn to cope with it, it adapts into something else. At the moment I'm struggling with vertigo, it feels like I'm rocking on a boat when I'm perfectly still. It freaks me out so much. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before,"? The changing of symptoms and what you do to relieve it. Thank you

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Symptoms

With agoraphobia, you avoid places or situations because you do not feel safe in public places. The fear is worse when the place is crowded.

Symptoms of agoraphobia include:

Being afraid of spending time alone

Being afraid of places where escape might be hard

Being afraid of losing control in a public place

Depending on others

Feeling detached or separated from others

Feeling helpless

Feeling that the body is not real

Feeling that the environment is not real

Having an unusual temper or agitation

Staying in the house for long periods of time

Physical symptoms can include:

Chest pain or discomfort

Choking

Dizziness or faintness

Nausea or other stomach distress

Racing heart

Short of breath

Sweating

Trembling

Exams and Tests

The health care provider will look at your history of agoraphobia, and will get a description of the behavior from you, your family, and friends.

• Posted

As I sit here I feel like I am on the verge of dying. I can feel fine one minute and the next I feel like I am not in control. I feel dizzy/lightheaded, like I'm not in my body, can't feel my body. It feels weird and I feel like something is buzzing inside me. I feel like imma be sick and puke. I constantly worry I'm going to die. I'm constantly worrying. Some days are great where I feel fine but then it's like boom I get a dizzy spell out of no where and I panic. I have been to hospital and Drs for this and palpitations and I get told it's all anxiety. I hate living my life like this. I have a 6 year old that needs my attention and to not see her mama panic and cry and always feeling sick. I feel like my whole body is vibrating inside. It's hard to explain and when I try people look at me like I'm stupid or something. I don't know what else to do. I am 29 a little over weight high blood pressure that's under control. Idk if it's anxiety. Or where my neck hurts. I am scared I'm going to die. I need help but don't seem to be able to get any here. I'm in USA btw. I don't mean to intrude on the UK but I need help too lol and if I have to fly across the world to get this feeling to stop I will. I'm tired of worrying and tired of feeling like death is at my door. I hate my hands shaking all the time and headaches. Muscle aches. Nauseous all the time. Stomach pain. I stress al the time. I mean I haven't had a period in over a year. If anyone knows anything to try please let me know. I know it's gotta be in my head cause if I get my mind off of it then I feel fine. As soon as I sit and wonder hmmm is my heart beating ok I basically start to feel weird and then panic. Thanks for listening to my rambling
    • Posted

Hi Kimberly.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a horrible time. You will find that the people on this forum do understand because they, like you, are living through this same difficulty every day. There is no magic cure, I'm afraid, partly because anxiety is not an illness. It is your own defence mechanism working to protect you. It might be reassuring to know that nobody has ever died from anxiety (despite what the movies might show). In fact, anxiety can do you absolutely no harm whatsoever, it just feels horrible, but being in a heightened anxiety state is completely safe. We wind ourselves up in it by worrying about it. That's the catch-22, because we get anxious about being anxious we stay anxious. There are things that can help, however.

1) Inform yourself about the reality of the condition. The best I have found is look on Tyne and Wear NHS website. There is a page of info leaflets. Look at the one about anxiety.

2) Never google your symptoms. The anxious mind will try to convince you that you have all kinds of illnesses. You dont. You have anxiety.

3) Exercise as much as you can. This has been clinically proven to be the best anti-dote to anxiety. (the greatest producer of more anxiety is sitting on your couch thinking about it!)

4) Propranalol (prescribed drug here) which is a beta-blocker, helps to reduce or eliminate the palpitations, which can then reduce the anxiety.

5) Keep posting and reading on this forum as it will make you realise that anxiety is a very, very common condition experienced by literally hundreds of thousands of people every day and none of them have died or had anything bad happen to them (apart from the feelings of anxiety). You are definately not alone!

6) Learning to meditate has also been proven to help.

7) Keeping busy, distracting yourself, having warm baths, see friends , get outside, go for a walk, all help. Try not to avoid situations that make you afraid. Try not to run from the anxiety. Try to do what you would normally do during the day despite having shaking hands, wierd thoughts, other symptoms etc.

8) Be very, very kind to yourself. Anxiety is not a matter of personal moral values, or cowardice, or because you deserve it, or because you are lacking in any kind of moral fibre. It is entirely impersonal and can happen to anybody. Dont take it personally. Give yourself a break. Remember to love yourself.

9) It will pass, hang on in there. The less attention you give it, the less attention it will give you. It will not go over-night but it will slowly go away if you pay it less attention.

10) I do not follow any particular religion, but I have found that praying to your own God or Higher Power does help in feeling supported.

Good luck Kimberly. Dont worry about your child, all they really need to know is that you love them, and you obviously do. It is a great blessing for her and for you. Dont worry about your anxiety, it will go away by itself and remember that it can do you no harm whatsoever. You are safe and you will be OK.

With much love and a big hug

Athol xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your insight. I do feel so much better today. It's a beautiful day and I'm going to spend it outside with my family. wink hope you all have a great one too!!
    • Posted

I know this post is old but I just wanted to see if there was any advice! When my second child was born 9 weeks ago I was prescribed .5 clonazepam. I have anxiety pretty bad which is why I was prescribed this medicine. From the time she was born until she was 5 wks old I took a half of a .5 during the day and then a whole .5 at night to help me sleep. This was everyday for 5 weeks. I didn't take them at all for a couple of days. I didn't know that much about benzos and that it was probably a no no to just do that. I started feeling dizzy a few days after not taking any. A few days after is when the pressure in the left side of my head and left ear started. For the passed 3 weeks I had taken a couple on and off because I thought maybe whatever this was it would help. Could this be withdrawals I'm going through? I feel weak and faint and shaky sometimes. I'll have nerve twitches. Ive even been a little confused. My muscles are weak and I have the skin burning feeling in my arms sometimes. I've had a couple of panic attacks. Ive had the unreal feeling kind of like you're in a dream all day. I thought about when this all started and what could've caused it and that's the only thing I can think of. My second child is now 9 weeks old and this has been going on since then. So for 4 weeks. I'm taking the Zoloft now (been on it a week today) because my gp thought this was just postpartum depression and anxiety. I'm a huge worrier so I had a Ct scan done on my head and it was normal. (I google my symptoms...I know it's a big No No!) My blood work was normal. They said vertigo was what it sounded like. But I'm just convinced it's the clonazepam. Sometimes I literally feel like I'm dying. Could be part of my anxiety mixed with this. I'm not addicted to it by no means! I hate stuff like that but apparently my body got used to it and this is what happened. I will never take anything like that again. But my doctors seem to think this is just postpartum depression and my anxiety mixed.

• Posted

OMG OMG I CAN TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I went through that hell for a good 2 months every single day I felt like I was in a video game, I wanted to die. It was horrible. I had every scan you can think of, CT, MRIs, blood work, nothing was wrong. My doctor told me its all anxiety, and then one day boom it went away. Thank god, but now here I am again suffering from digestion issues and abdominal pain which everyone keeps telling me its IBS but of course I am thinking the worst and scheduled for a CT tomorrow. I am so scared and of course I have the worst thoughts in my head righ tnow and dont know how I am goin gto sleep tonight. 

It will get better, you just need to fight through it. Keep people around you always and dont be alone. 

• Posted

Ya I know how it feels. Last night I was on trampoline laying and I moved I guess wrong way and got so dizzy and have basically been dizzy ever since. It sucks. I need to go to doctor I guess. My stomach is constantly hurting and I feel like I'm going to puke at any moment. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.