Physical symptoms and Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I get physical symptoms from my anxiety and depression and wondered if Citalopram has helped anyone get relief from this ? Does it also work to relieve pain does anyone know ? Any advice very much appreciated. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jimmy.

Anxiety does come with many physical symptoms Hun and Citalopram will help with that. 

It takes a while before you feel the benefits and you may feel worse initially before you feel better....Although that isn't a given fact...some people don't have no side effects at all. 

All I can say is that once the medication kicks in it will be worth it. It just takes a little time. Most people say they start to feel the benefits between 4 and 8 weeks. For some it takes less time and for others longer.

Just stick with it and be strong.

My medication helps with neck and shoulder pain which I'm presuming has come along for the ride with depression and anxiety. I'm not on Citalopram but have used it in the past.

We are here if you have any questions or worries.

Good luck in your journey and Godbless xx

• Posted

Many thanks for getting back to me. I get leg pain which my doctor and psychiatrist feel is a result of my anxiety/depression. I didn't realise it could cause physical pain until they told me. Oh what fun ! 😀
    • Posted

Ahh the joys...Some antidepressants can have physical pain as a side effect to but it usually goes away.

I have horrendous neck ache with depression and anxiety. It's very bizarre.

xx

• Posted

Do your meds really help with your neck and shoulder ? I may be able to take amitriptyline at some point but they want the citalopram to kick in first. 
    • Posted

Yes they do. I'm on Mirtazapine so it helps me sleep and has got rid of the neck and shoulder pain that I've suffered with for 12 month prior to even knowing I was depressed and anxious.

Amitriptyline is ment to be great for sleep also.

Ive been on Mirtaz coming up to 8 weeks now and my doctor is wanting thinking about a add on if there aren't any marked improvement. I am improved. My anxiety has almost gone but my mood,concentration and focus is still very low so we will just have to see what happens over the next few weeks xx

• Posted

That's great that it's helped you so much. Did it take a couple of months for the painkilling effect to kick in aswell ? 
  • Posted

Hi Jimmy

Having anxiety and depression often brings lots of aches and pains too.  Doctors are often all to quick to write this off as brought on by anxiety and dismiss it, and whilst I understand it is probably anxiety, it's still painful and not nice.  I used to get a lot of indigestion from anxiety, and got fed up hearing 'oh it's due to your anxiety, what do you expect'.  Well I expected some relief as it hurt.

I found taking Citralopram eventually cured my anxiety and depression and because I wasn't getting anxiety with my stomach in knots, I found my indigestion disappeared too.  I expect pains will disappear once the anxiety starts to peter out.

Hope that helps :-)

• Posted

That's great. Many thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. All the tests for other possible things have been all clear so it's a good chance anxiety/depression is the main cause. As you said, hopefully the pain will disappear along with the anxiety. Fingers crossed. 😀
  • Posted

Hi jimmy 

I have been on citalopram for 15 days and up until taking this med had been in considerable discomfort with neck and shoulder pain , using pain killers regularly to help ! Well here's the thing although I'm suffering with considerable unpleasant side effects at the mo the pain in my neck and shoulder is undetectable ! I can only put this down to the meds and hope it lasts x

• Posted

Wow ! That's amazing Yvonne. Hope it carries on for you. Did it help immediately ? 
    • Posted

Hi jimmy no it took about a week 8 days !!! Have you started meds yet ?
    • Posted

Yeah I've been on them around 3 weeks now but unfortunately no pain relief. Mood has lifted a small amount but may have to change med if it doesn't work. Fingers crossed it will kick in though. Been told on here it can take 6-8 weeks to really work. 
  • Posted

Still early days then jimmy ! I'm 15 days on it not far behind you but we are not even probably half way to the full benefit yet so I would say you might just see things improve soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.