Physical therapy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I broke my ankle on Dec 23. I had surgery Dec 24. I wore soft cast for two weeks, then in the boot for 5 weeks. I went to doctor on Feb 13, and found that my ankle is healed, so now I'm going to do physical therapy. Now I have partial weight bearing, for three more weeks. I'm doing really good, but the journey has been awful. Can't wait to go back to work. I'm a waitress so I need my foot to really work. Good luck to everybody whose going through this awful injury.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

At last someone who seams to be on the rd to recovery, I'm only two weeks in. How did u find the boot I'm scared it won't be enough of a support? 

I too work on my feet hcsw so need to get better to go back to work x

• Posted

Hi E,

I'm glad you pulled through just fine after your surgery. It is a rough road indeed.

When you stated your ankle is healed I'm sure you meant that just the bone fracture itself is healed enough to start some weight-bearing activity. Your road to recovery is essentially just beginning, because weight-bearing with movement will bring to light any soft tissue damage you sustained in your ankle injury.

Physical therapy, along with a nourishing diet (no junk) is the key to hopes of a complete recovery. There are plenty of ankle exercises you can engage in while you are partial weight-bearing (how-to videos are online). Once you get to full weight bearing and walking you need to up your game with more challenging exercises to strengthen and stabilize your ankle joint.

Failure to implement an ongoing, effective ankle rehab program, is in my opinion, the reason so many ankle patients fail to get the complete recovery they so desperately want. Without a fully healed ankle they may be prone to chronic ankle instability that can and does lead to ankle failure and more surgery later in life.

As a waitress you place a lot of demands on your feet, so be careful and don't try to rush things. If your ankle is slow to recover you will need to pace yourself and treat your ankle gingerly to avoid more damage. If you can work with your employer to find job duties besides waiting tables and that will allow you to sit more then that would be to your advantage.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi E. I broke my ankle and had surgery a week after you. I’m right where you are too-partial weight bearing on the boot and healing great.  

I agree, it has been an ordeal and the first 3-4 weeks are the worst. It feels like there is no end in sight at that point. Nice to be on the back side of all that. 

I really have no pain while walking on it, although only 1/2 weight bearing. Foot swells a bit if I’m out and about all day but that goes down quickly.

There’s hope people! It really does get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.