Physical Therapy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Back in November of 2017 I had a total hip replacement and afterwards during physical therapy my therapist tied a large rubber band around my thigh then wrapped the other end around his waist. He slowly backed up pulling my femur out of the acetabulum slightly. A couple of days later I developed a hematoma about the size of an orange. 160cc of serodangious fluid was removed. A few days after that, all the progress that I had made being 3 to 4 weeks post THR, the pain got so bad to where I had to stop the physical therapy altogether. I later learned that this procedure he did on me was contraindicated for people who had underwent a hip replacement. Do any of you know the medical term for that procedure I just described? It’s some type of joint reduction or something like that. And, do any of you know why it shouldn’t be done on THR patients. What happened to me for obvious reasons. It loosened my new hip device and now I have to have it done all over again. If you have anything to add, or know a PT that you could ask about this I would appreciate it. I’m a cardio/thoracic RN and my expertise isn’t bones and joints. Thank you so much!

DJ~RN

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what the procedure is called but the reason not to do it is obvious. Look what happened. Your healing was no where near ready for that sort of stretch/resistance exercise. I hope the physio has been told what happened and that they made a mistake. 

Sorry for this happening. It's hard to find a good therapist. Like you they all have their area of expertise. I'm in NZ and found a great physio. Where are you?  Good luck for next time. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. I’m in the south in the USA. I’ve got to have this hip done again. When it slips it is very painful. I’m trying to find out more about the procedure that was done on me by the PT. I have a lawyer and suing the hospitsl’s Physical Therapy department. I have been in excruciating pain for 8 months and all the Drs did was protect each other. 

DJRN

• Posted

Hi I have sent you a private message with a link to the manoeuvre they carried out, I'm presuming that it was used because you where still in pain with your hip, i suppose this is a daft question but they did know you had v recently had a total hip replacement

• Posted

Thank you so much for your time and helping me research this. Yes. My surgeon sent me there for PT. They knew I was 2 weeks post hip replacement. 

DJRN

• Posted

It just goes to show that we are in the hands of some people who sadly don't know their Jobs as well as they should, are you in the UK

• Posted

This is true. Everyone makes my stakes but this one has caused me excruciating pain for over 8 months now. 

DJRN

• Posted

What an idiotic thing to do, I am so sorry. I assume the PT is not paying towards your new op as they should do. 
    • Posted

Ok I have checked out what we can and cannot do regards exercises after a HR, all exceptable procedures I can find are UK based, I would suggest you do some undercover phone calls and ask the question, what's is their protecol post THR

• Posted

I appreciate all the feedback!  Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Regards,

DJRN

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.