Physical therapy after bunion and hammertoe surgery. Also temporary handicap placard

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, my surgeon, very reputable, one of the very best, said from the beginning that he is not a fan of physical therapy and that sometimes PT causes bunions to return. However, he said, if I really wanted PT, he could give it to me. Well, now after 2 1/2 months since surgery, seeing that I cannot walk properly, my big toe and second toe (former hammer toe) are too stiff, I decided to go for PT but.... my surgeon will not accept to prescribe it to me. I have researched and apparently there are no contraindications for PT with this type of surgery. What has your experience been? And if you do have PT, what do they do for you there? How many sessions?

On another note, I found out that after surgery, your doctor can fill out an application for you to get a temporary handicap placard which is usually for 6 -12 months. Since my surgeon is very stand offish and not easy to talk with, I talked with my PCP and initially she was on board with this. But, she filled the application wrong and I was deemed ineligible and only due to the mercy of the people from DMV, I got a two month handicap placard. But it should have been for at least 6 months. What do you know of this and if you do, how was your experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had this surgery in June and needed intensive PT sessions. I also do exercises at home. Check out YouTube they have lots of videos on exercises you can do at home.

I could not get a parking handicapped pass either so I parked illegally at work for a few weeks (I let our safety office know).

My toes are still stiff but I can walk without pain. Not sure if my big toe will ever fully "curl" again but it doesn't hurt so I am ok with that. My hammertoe was fused so it will never have the same movement. I found practicing being up on my toes has been helpful. I finally can get up on my toes with no pain.

Time will get you where you need to be but I would do the exercises to keep the toe limber.

good luck

• Posted

Thank you. I have no idea why my surgeon would not give me PT when initially he said that although he is not a big fan, if I really wanted it, he would give me the referral. Now he changed his mind and mulishly, he adamantly refuses. Yes, I do know of those exercises and I do them every day. I think I will go to PT at least a few times and pay out of pocket. But, what a shame! How long before you could get on tiptoes?

• Posted

hi not sure exact timing. probably around five months out from surgery. I used a stretch band to build strength up in foot and ankle, could pick up marbles with toes and found riding a recumbent bike. i got a walking boot at four weeks and wore it for at least seven weeks.

But now i am doing so much better with walking faster and distances. Still wearing Sketcher type shoes. i had a lot of swelling which thankfully is almost gone.

Everyone heals at different rates but PT was a lifesaver for me.

Hope you continue to do well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.