Physical Therapy for Peroneal Tendon surgery and bunion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post op for peroneal tendon surgery and bunion removal.  Havent put any weight on it yet.  What kind of pain can I expect during physical therapy?  The pain itself doesnt bother me, just wondering what kind of pain it is to see if what I have is normal or if something is wrong?

Thanks!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm 5 1/2 months post op for peroneal tendon repair (I shredded the tendn). I hope you are as lucky as I've been because I've had no pain.  The incision rubbed a little in the cast and boot, but the ankle has been good, really good.  The bunion adds another difficulty and I cannot speak to that, but if PT is good, you'll be walking comfortably in no time. I spent 2+ weeks in a cast, then 6+ weeks in a boot, but I was able to walk in the boot.  My PT was so good, after the boot I went into a brace and did really well.  Now I walk everywhere with no device, no limp, no pain. My surgeon was great as was the PT and I followed directions exactly.  Hopefully the bunion isn't too painful and you'll breeze right through this.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Kellee, I was in a boot too, for a good while.  My ankle froze.  It still will hardly move.  I had my surgery on Friday, May 13th.  I can walk now, but I limp.  I'm fine with that though.  But can you please tell me if you experienced a frozen ankle or a stiff ankle, from being in the boot so long?  Thanks.  :-)

Beth

• Posted

My surgery was also on May 13th.  I did not experience a frozen ankle or any stiffness.  Actually, my range of motion was very good, even after getting out of the cast.  When I got the boot, I was allowed to take it off when I was sitting, so I did my PT exercises constantly, which I think helped.  The other thing that might have made a difference, a few months  before the surgery my primary care doc sent me to physical therapy, I did that for about 6 weeks, 2-3 times a week. Although there was some pain from the torn tendon, that PT may have strengthened my ankle and helped me to maintain my range of motion. The PT after the surgery also went very well.  So we are at the same point in time, I'm sorry that you are experiencing stiffness.  For whatever reason, my recovery has been remarkably easy and painless and pretty complete.  My ortho doc insists that it takes a full year for recovery, but he too was surprised that I had full range of motion so early on and that I have had almost no pain.  I still do some of the PT exercises (when I remember).  Good luck to you, so sorry that this hasn't gone as well for you as it has for me.

• Posted

Hi Kellee, thank you!  I'm glad that you have had no stiffness/frozen ankle.  Maybe the PT did help, beforehand.  I had very little pain, even when it happened and I (knock on wood - I'm knocking on my head now), LOL I have not had any major issues - as far as pain or swelling or things like that.  I can hardly walk in the mornings when I get up for work and late at night, but I am glad I can at least walk.  It's one of those injuries where there is no such thing as a "speedy" recovery.  I think this board has been wonderful!  It's always nice to read others stories and experiences, as well as their feedback.  And I wish you good luck too.  Sounds like you're doing well well in your recovery journey.  biggrin

• Posted

2 weeks post op - very little pain - wandering when I might be able to start PT and approximately when I may be able to put at least a little weight on foot- Getting around has been quite eye-opening - I can't seem to master crutches so just basically using scooter 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.