Physical therapy for PT

Posted , 9 users are following.

Long story short I have VT now for 16 months. I have been slowly improving by myself however speaking with my ENT we agreed to try PT to hopfully continue to improve. After a little over a week of PT and home exercises my imbalance has regressed to the point where I'm considering quitting the PT. Bottom line is I feel the PT is making me worse. Is this common where you get worse before you get better or should I see positive results immediately? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Cant say as I have never been given physio therapy, and a lot of us on here haven't   either.  it's not usual for people, with vertigo,to get or  be given PT. maybe if you stop it for a while and see what happens, just stick with the VRT?  P.s. You shouldnt feel,worse for that long, somif it's going on i would,definitely drop the pt?
  • Posted

What kind of activities are you doing for your therapy? I would often feel worse in the beginning but would feel better faster the more I did my exercises. Maybe you are moving too fast or being too aggressive to begin with? I don't know where I would be if I hadn't done my physical therapy. It saved my life. 
  • Posted

Yes VRT saved me too. I was given exercises that were tailored to me....the areas i needed to improve on. The exercises definitely made me feel worse in the beginning...like for 3 weeks or so.....then i slowly started feeling better. I had damage to my balance nerve that caused my imbalance. It will not go away over night. I did the exercises for 3 months. I am 98% now.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the quick responces. My first exercise was side to side head movement looking at an object on the wall. Also holding a paper close to my nose slightly elevated. The paper has a series of large dots with 2 lines parallel with the dots. I have to look at each dot for a few seconds up and down the line. Also stnding on a pillow with my feet front to back, my eyes closed and trying to maintain my balance. I have my next therapy appointment today. I'll discuss with him and get his opinion also.
  • Posted

The side to side, up and down exercises initially made me sick to my stomach but then things started getting better, around week 3.  Remember when you do this you are kind of readjusting things in your head.  Even now if I start feeling off I'll do a few rounds of these exercises - they no longer make me sick but seem to readjust me a bit.
  • Posted

Stick at it. I felt awful for about 6-8 weeks after starting. Symptoms were changing by the week.

One week I felt as if my body was constantly swinging to the right like on a waltzer. Not back and forwards, just constantly to the right. Then the following week it felt like I had a walnut in the centre on my head which was tilted to the right. Felt weird.

4 months after VRT and I feel ok and can manage day to day tasks fine now. Still not great but still doing VRT religiously every night.

Stick at it and don't give up.

• Posted

Just an update...I saw my therapist yesterday and told him I'm regressing. The therapist told me to stop the side to side head movement for a week or 2 because it's too much for my brain, although eventually I'm going to have to do it. He feels that my body has somewhat compensated after going so long before PT, therefore my body is "very sensitive" to movement and we need to desensitize my body. I am doing more simple exercises for the rest of the week and revisit with the therapist on Monday.  I also got a neck message. The therapist said that the back neck muscles were very tight which can cause headaches and dizziness. Again thanks for all the replies!!
  • Posted

One step forward and two steps back is how it seems to go.  Now after three years I am more two steps forward and one step back.  Progress!

• Posted

Yes when I started PT I had a bit of back and forth. There was actually 3 weeks in a row where I felt I was reverting back to where I had been 3 months previous but it did improve. Make sure you are communicating at the beginning of every PT session what pain and what symptoms you have felt and anything that has improved or gotten worse from the last visit. In some cases it's getting over that hump but depending on what you say they may knock it down a few levels to let you build up a tolerance or skip some of the exercises that day to focus on a specific area. Try to stick with it, it really does take quite a bit of time but can really be worth it in my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.