Physical therapy phase

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a couple of questions. The first is a general question for anyone recovering from an ankle issue. Once you get in the boot, if you go to physical therapy, do you do the exercises in the boot or out? What kind of exercises do you do? 

The second question is specifically for those who have had a talonavicular joint fusion. I know that this joint contols the side to side movement of the foot so that is gone after the surgery. Have you done any exercises specific to this issue?

My doctor didn't prescribe PT and I've read online that this is often the case with a talonavicular fusion. Still, I'd like to do whatever I can to get stronger faster.

Thanks for your input.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You do not do pt in the boot. I was in the boot for almost 3 months (too long according to pt) The boot prevents any movement. I had a severely broken ankle 2 surgeries since I broke it on 11/13.

I can't imagine not doing PT. Surprised your dr didn't prescribe it, because after being in a boot you'll need it. At least in most cases in my opinion. What I need most? PATIENCE. 😖

• Posted

You will remove your boot at physical therapy and in my case at week 8 we started range of motion exercises nonweight bearing. The therapist uses electrical stimulation and massage therapy and she stretches my foot.  I work with rubber bands, a toe crunch tool,balance board while seated, and some other exercises.  I also walk on a zero gravity treadmill to relearn my gait and to work on walking without a limp.  We add time and 5 percent of my body weight in each session and I started at 50% of my body weight.  At 65 % I could walk for 25 minutes but today at 70% I could only walk for 20 minutes without having bad pain and bad form.  
    • Posted

It's interesting that you said a toe crunch tool. Right now when I walk with a walker I have bad pain that is near my toes rather than near the ankle. I've only been in the boot 2 days so I know I shouldn't be discouraged, but I am. I'm going to buy some more excercise bands and start with them. I have some that I hid from my grandsons and now I don't remember where they are.

• Posted

I would be sure to review anything you will be doing at home with your doctor as there may be some things that are not recommended at this point.  At home I also use something called a foot gym that is helping me with my toes.   My toes seem to be having a hard time moving and feel swollen.  This foot gym is shaped on a wedge so you can stretch your Achilles and it has different strength rubber bands that go across the top that you can do toe lifts and also toe grabs with. It also had a massage ball that can be frozen or hot water added to it to massage the arch of your foot with.  I am finding it to be quite helpful in getting the strength back and coordination back in my toes. When I showed my therapist he got so excited about it he is ordering one for their practice to use in coordination with the toe crunch tool I am currently using there.  Stay positive and celebrate each accomplishment as it  is a long frustrating and sometimes boring road to recovery.  I found coloring or drawing helped because I could not concentrate with the medications and it helped pass the time.  Once you get to therapy you will be able to feel that you are participating in your recovery more.  Once you reach that stage you see progress faster.  
    • Posted

The doctor won't be prescribing PT for me, but he did say that I can move my foot in any way that I want. I have to wear the boot and start adding weight as I walk, but he said that nothing I do is really going to do damage at this point and I should let pain be my guide. I'll look into the foot gym that you mentioned. Thanks for the tip!

• Posted

Did the doctor say why he will not prescribe physical therapy?  I have never heard of a doctor refusing to do that for a post surgery patient and having an expert guide your recovery thru therapy.  If you are not comfortable with his decision I would suggest getting a second opinion and seeking another doctor's opinion on that and requesting that doctor to prescribe it or to insist with your current doctor that it is necessary as part of your recovery.  

• Posted

I didn't ask him to prescribe it, I just remember that in our initial conversation he said that I wouldn't need it. I've noticed on some websites that deal specifically with talonavicular fusions there is also a mention that patients seldom do physical therapy. The only thing that I can figure out is that PT is often to help range of motion issues and once the talonavicular joint is fused most of the capability of side-to-side and other foot motion is gone. Actually, in my case it was already gone because the joint was bone-on-bone. I don't mind not doing PT since I'd have to drive 30 miles for it, but if I'll ask him about it if I can't get to feeling stronger on my own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.