Physio???

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've been discharged from hospital with no physio just a sheet of exersizes to do 3x a day. Is this a usual procedure?

When i questioned the nurse she said it was and they only give you physio if you are going back to an intense sport etc.

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kel, I'm in Kent and was only given exercise sheets, after 3 months despite doing the exercises I limped quite badly. I phoned the hospital and had to ask to see someone about physio, it wasn't offered any at the time of discharge. I've had 4 sessions but have been told I limp because my muscles are really weak, so it's back to doing loads of exercise. Contact your physio department and see if they can help, but keep up the exercises.

• Posted

Yes, it is common practice..They should have shown the exercises though during your stay in hospital. Here in UK, you stay for around 3-4 days but they have you up and about on day 2, day after op! Then you get to exercise, try  crutches, walking stick, practice the stairs etc. Every day the physio came to show me exercises and then gave me the list so I could continue when I got home.
    • Posted

I was up doing physio day 2 along with stairs etc.
  • Posted

Hi Kel. I am in the U.K. And you will probably get a letter in the post about your PT session. It is a load of crap about not giving you it unless you do intensive sport. I never have done it. Yet I do get PT. you should call your doctor and request it

Good luck. X

• Posted

Hi Kel, our hospital is in Kent but comes under a London Borough. Apart from exercises on the ward. I had two physio appointments. One at 4 and 7 weeks. I persuaded them to let me joun the gym class for lower limb. Ended up getting 6 sessiins instead of 4 which was a great help. Had physio through GP in a later stage of recovery too. Push for it.
    • Posted

I said earlier that what you get can differ depending on which hospital you have your op at, & where you live in the UK.  Following a surgery I had a few years ago, I stopped asking what they were giving me to take home & what after care they were giving me & I started asking what I was entitled to instead.  Two different questions that will very often give you two different answers.

• Posted

How would i push for it.would it be through my g.p?
    • Posted

Yes i went to the GP & said private cover was finishing so could i extend with NHS? She was all for it & referred me no questions asked. Go for it!

• Posted

if you are home then yes do that.  ask what you're entitled to though.  I live in Wales & I have to say we get far better help than people in England & it just isn't fair on you guys.  We all pay taxes & Nat Ins, so we should all get the same support U& after care.  Don't be shy of asking, you are entitled Kel.  Best of success to you.

• Posted

If you still have to see your surgeon then sk them. Otherwise go to your GP although it may take longer that way depending on the services they pay into .
  • Posted

That sounds crazy to me.  Usually they suggest at least a few sessions of PT so that you can be shown how to do the exercises correctly.  Also, those exercises are tailored to each individual.  Age, physical health, weight, etc...

It sounds to me like they are cutting corners.  I would honest get a second opinion.  Good luck!

• Posted

Sounds crazy to me too. As far as the hospital went, it was physio twice a day in hospital (so three times for me), sheets, then follow up at two and six weeks. I didn't think they were much good, mind you. But nowhere near that bad!

• Posted

Just phone your doctor surgery and ask for a physiotherapist referral , you may get a jobs worth who's says you need to see a doctor first but that's fine , your entitled to free NHS physiotherapy . Of course if you can afford it then find a good physiotherapist and go privately. A good Physiotherapist is the key to a good recovery xxx

• Posted

Hi Kelly

I went private and got physio while in hospital and then a follow up at three weeks along with a book of exercises at discharge . When I went for my follow up it turned out I was doing the exercises wrong! I've since had another 3 sessions and another 3 to get at 3 week intervals. Each time I go I get more exercises set at a different level. I'm now 13 weeks post op and doing well. I'm fact at work now but still am quite stiff from sitting to standing but improving each day.

It's a quite normal I'm told x

• Posted

Hi Kel, I'm in North London, and my experience was the same as yours. Sheet of exercises, and then went to my physio appointment at 6 weeks. She said I was doing fine, and discharged me. Usually if you go to your GP, you can fill in a self referral form for physio. I did that before my op when I was in a lot of pain. Usually quite a wait though. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.