Physio

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is tucks again, went for my first physio yesterday , I knee bend good a 97but need to work a bit more on straightening the knee. Problem is it is still very swollen and stiff. Gave me different set of excersises. Least night after my usual fidgeting about for a couple oh hours, thought about my hot water bottle , what a joy placed it just below my feet not touching. The warmth just enveloped me and with a pillow between my legs I dropped off to Sleep for 4hours.the niggly pains started again so I went downstairs and made myself a cup of tea. This relaxed me and I managed another 3good hours.. Seems so trivial but maybe warmth is a key to comfort.. I shall certainly be giving it a try again tonight. Thanks for your time friends. Just being able to talk about things is a great comfort. Take care. Tucks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I used heat a lot once the swelling had gone.  Even before it was totally gone my physio tech had me doing heat and ice.  I always did heat to losen before exercising and ice after,  I think I started the heat 2-3 weeks post op.  Seems every physio plan is different.
  • Posted

Hi Tucks

I found physio appointments very beneficial and now 8 weeks post operation can now bend to 110 degrees and straighten my leg could never had done this 4 weeks ago. 

I would take a hot water bottle to bed which l found helped but still not sleeping throughout the night which l find difficult as l feel so tired during the day 

All the best 

Melodi x

• Posted

This tiredness is so debilitating I dread nighttime coming round. It's defiantly hot water bottle again tonight. Take care
    • Posted

Hi Melodi, I agree about the tiredness. I am so restless every night, waking up feeling uncomfortable all the time. I seem to get very hot so the hot water bottle's not a great help 😊. Think I'm beginning to see improvements during the day though even though I'm very stiff first thing in the morning and think I've gone back to square one! But it does get better as I move about a bit and do exercises. Hopefully our nights will improve too soon.

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Tucks, glad you got some comfort and managed better sleep. I've used heat too and got some comfort but recently have been waking often being too hot so haven't used heat in bed. I've used a combination of ice and heat during the day though. I think we need to go with anything (sensible) which can provide some relief. I still get tired - not helped by restless nights, I'm sure. I just wish the tightness and heaviness in my leg would ease. I still get pain in muscles behind the knee too which,apparently, is the leg readjusting to walking differently. I managed 2 minutes on my exercise bike today in an attempt to loosen things up. I'll check with physio tomorrow if that is a good idea. Wondered how beneficial others have found a bike? 

Hope you get a comfortable night tonight. 

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Jen I have a bike but when I suggested it to the physio she said no too early. Like you the tiredness is so lowering and I am struggling to get my appetite back. I don't really fancy anything I am eating because I know I have to not because I'm enjoying it.hope tomorrow is a little better for you Jen, think that's all we can hope for at the moment take care 
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, my appetite is still not great either. I've lost about 1/2 a stone which is no bad thing I know. It's just not like me to not fancy food! I'm further along than you (7 weeks now) so hope the bike is ok. I'll let you know what the physio says tomorrow. We went for a ride to the coast this afternoon and I had a nice walk along the front which was enjoyable as well as an achievement. Hope you have a good night.

Jen x

• Posted

sleeping is a pain , ive got the movement in both my knees , just having problems sleeping without a pillow under my knee as i dont get comfey unless im on my back , cant lie on my side or belly or it really hurts to move or even lift my left knee ( the left is only 5 weeks post op ) .i wake up hot in the night and go to move the bed covers of with my leg then jump and wish i hadnt used my left leg , but saying that i know it will go eventually .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.