Physio

Posted , 11 users are following.

I posted some time back about physio for hip arthritis.  I started a few weeks ago and now I've been moved into the hip class.  I was horrified that they expected me to use an exercise bike - I could barely get on and certainly couldn't turn the pedals all the way round.  I found all the exercises very painful and now I'm back home my hip is aching like billy-o! I have to attend this class for 6 weeks and then report back to my GP.  I really can't see that it os going to work.  It may strengthen my muscles but I can't understand how it will help bones.  Most of the other people there were post-hip replacement and they could do far more than me.  I'm embarrassed to say I ended up in tears.

As well as telling my GP about the pain and the things I am unable to do, does ayone have ay advice on convincing her that I can't go on like this and need a new hip?  I can't drive, can only walk short distances and my hip keeps gettig 'stuck'.  I have to click it back into position and it's so painful.  I'm 67 in August but they keep telling me I'm too young.

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi CelsB,

I am 65 and Ihad it done four weeks ago...Go back to your GB and ask her to refer you to a consultant orthopedic surgeon. Don't leave her surgery until she has done it. If she refuses on grounds of your age complain to the NHS; she is about 25 years behind and she needs to be retrained.

Alternatively go the to consultant privately, just once to speed the process...

Where do you live? I cannot believe that this is happening in the UK.

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

I live in Northamptonshire Ella.  All these replies are making me realise I need to be more assertive with my GP.  The trouble with me is that I'm a bit shy and find it difficult to be firm, but I know I'm just going to be overlooked if I don't push for surgery.  Thanks for your reply x
    • Posted

Hi again, 

do you have somebody more assertive to go with you? because this needs to be sorted out, you should'nt have to be in pain like this, I hope you get it sorted soon, stay in touch,

love and best wishes,

Lynne.

• Posted

67 I am told is the average age for a hip replacement, there must therefore be some much older and some much younger

I was sent to physio preop, they described it as it would strengthen the muscles tendons and ligaments for post op and also ease matters a little. I could not do all the exercises and was told not to persevere with those.

you do have a right to a second opinion and to demand a referral to a hospital consultant. As others have said if you have a private consultation you can then revert to the NHS

• Posted

Absolute rubbish about age. I am 60 have been getting worse over the years. Dr told me it was my back and that he suffered back pain like many. Told to get on with it,  

i had enough. Got myself a private consultation with back consultant who wanted to know why I was seeing him because the pain obviously came from the hip!!

long story short I am 10 days post op. Whilst the pain is quite bad at times, I know it will get better instead of getting worse

i am so glad I stumbled upon this site

good luck, don't let them fob you off

carol

• Posted

My doctor arranged for me to do physio, saw a lovely guy who looked at my X-ray and said it wasn't worth the pain, on

one thing to cure it, and thanks to to the lovely people here I am going to tell the doctor next week the answer is yes. My hip is bone to bone, I also have displacement of the hips which has made one leg Lot shorter I hope the replacement will cure this. Go back to your doctor  tell him how be it is.

sue

• Posted

Wow, thanks so much for all your replies.  You all make me feel stronger and more determined to push for a new hip xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.