Physio

Posted , 6 users are following.

Following a tkr i was just wondering how many times you see your physio and for how long is the appointment ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had an appt. a fortnight after the op. which was a one to one and lasted about an hour I think. It was more of an assessment than anything. Then a class after that with other's that was four weekly sessions. That should have been it but due to issues with scar tissue I'm still seeing the physiotherapist I originally saw. That's in the UK on the NHS. I've had very good service from my local clinic.

• Posted

I should have said I'm 16 weeks post op.

• Posted

Bermondsey

What do they do for the scar tissue??? What symptoms did you have? I will be at 5 momths the 17th. Still too much pain, numbmess, tourniuquet feeling. Noiw electrical shocks.

• Posted

At 5 months, you should have your ROM back to at least 0 / +120 so scar tissue should not be an issue. All of that is broken down in the first 12 weeks with the PT ROM sessions.

Your other symptoms are all perfectly normal and will be decreasing gradually over the next 7 months. As you should be off the opioids by now, any of the OTC NSAID anti-inflammatories should help. There's also Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere...check for interactions with your current meds first) which is a great topical. Use it during the day but especially at bedtime. There are also OTC menthol, capsaisin and lidocaine patches plus Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine. A cheap $25 TENS unit can also be helpful.

The numbness will also subside but permanent numbness along the incision line is commonly reported. The tightness ("tourniquet", "tight band", stiffness, etc.) also reduces imperceptibly and should be gone by one year. Some report a lingering stiffness even to 18 months. The best thing is to keep the knee active. Even at 3+ years, I get it a bit when I sit around too much.

Finally, the absolute best way to finish your recovery and put all the pain behind you is to do the muscle rebuild for your atrophied quads, glutes, core, etc. These are the muscles that support the knee and take the pressure off of it. This is NOT optional...gotta rebuild that musculature to walk correctly, regain your balance and be able to do stairs normally. Here's the program...

Muscle Rebuild

This will take up the rest of year one. Start slowly and gradually...endurance before strength...rush it and your knee will swell. Time, work and patience are your tools...

• Posted

They just show me more aggressive excercises. That's all they can do really as anything else is down to the surgeon. To be honest I think I'm beyond the window of opportunity but I'm not giving up yet.

I'm still not getting good flexion (around 100 degrees) or extention (about 10 degrees) but I seem to be managing OK with that so I would be reluctant to have an mua or another op.

• Posted

I should have said I'm not having your symptoms. The effects are just those of having reduced leg movement.

• Posted

I saw my physical therapist 3 times a week for two months beginning 4 days after my surgery. each sessions lasted from one to one and a half hours long. the third month I went to twice a week. I live in the United States.

• Posted

I'm 5 wks post op. I'm not happy with the physio I'm receiving. I had a referral to the local hosp for physio but after ringing them they told that they were really booked and only meet once a week so they didnt know when i would get an appt. i rang my doctors to ask if there was anywhere else i could go. they rang me and said i could go to the surgery and gave me an appt.

the first week i went the lady asked me why i was there as she wasnt sure whether she could see me as she was private and only see certain nhs patients. i explained to her the situation and she gave me some exercises to do and made me another appt for two wks later.

that appt was today. i went in and she asked me what exercises i had been doing which was the exercises she had given me. she then gave me three more exercises to do and then gave me an appt for three weeks later.

i was in that appt for ten minutes.

i feel ive been let down by the system and not getting enough support.

what do you think i should do?

• Posted

That's very poor. Can you get back to the hospital and complain? It might work if you can give them a reason why you think it's urgent. For instance tell them if you are not getting a good angle of movement. There's a window of opportunity to get that movement so it's not something you want to be on a waiting list for. Failing that it's either pay for private physio or do it all yourself. See posts by Chico marx for advice on best excercises. You really need a physio to measure your progress though.

• Posted

I had home therapy for the first 3 weeks and then drove to their place to week 12...50-60 minutes per session. Started the ROM work at -14 / +84; got to -1 / +123 at week 12.

After doing the muscle rebuild (month 4+), I was around 0 / +133 at one year. Gotta keep the knee active or it stiffens up even years later...currently 3+ years post-op.

• Posted

I also did a lot of work at home...

ROM Work at Home

#3 is guaranteed to straighten your leg to zero degrees. Sounds easy...it's a killer...but soooo effective.

• Posted

Beyond that you'll still have some soft tissue pain. After a knee replacement, your knee will feel warm and look red and swollen for about two to three months. Stiffness and soreness usually lasts three to six months before gradually subsiding. You'll have full recovery about 12- 18 months after your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.