physio

Posted , 7 users are following.

Bit of a general call for guidance, in the UK. I had a regular follow up appointment at the Trauma and Orthopaedics outpatient clinic back in August. I have a ruptured bicep tendon, torn rotator cuff and OA in the neck. The consultant I saw recommended I have some physiotherapy to help with strength and mobility issues. He tapped into the computer whilst I was there to make the physio referral request. Since then I've heard nothing. I tried calling the number on the appointment letter but it's a general appointment helpline and the best I've managed on any given day is to get to 22nd in the queue on their queueing system (after hanging on for over half an hour). I tried then calling the NHS Trust general number which covers several hospitals in my area, they put me through to the consultant's secretary's number where I got voicemail. I've left two voicemails now and no call back or response. I tried my local GP surgery but they have not received notification of the referral so cant do anything. I even called the physio department direct but they couldnt help either. Bit of a loss now as to who the heck I can get to speak to, to query why I havent had any notice of an appointment etc., and life is getting quite difficult trying to cope with lack of movement/pain etc. Forgive me for being utterly disgusted but what the heck - this is totally ridiculous not being able to even make contact with anyone at all. Does anyone have any advice on who I can contact to try to track my referral? Bloody hopeless NHS. My partner is off sick unpaid following major heart surgery earlier in the year so we dont have the money to go private.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Loxie, The NHS certainly seems to be grinding to a halt. Your local hospital should have a patients liaison service. If you google your hospital you should get contact info, or just google PALS to see what the service is supposed to do. I would also try 111 - they are supposed to be able to advise you. Good luck

• Posted

When I lived in Scotland my MSP was the Health Minister. I wrote complaining about the 16 week wait and he replied that the hadn't known the waiting times were so long !

My then GP had warned me that workers get priority over retired people. Ageism is rife in most areas of the NHS.

• Posted

Might try PALS next - at least they'll probably get someone to answer questions. If they tell me I'm on a waiting list I'll accept it but at present I dont even know if the referral has been received or not.

• Posted

I would phone the consultants secretary,

Physio appointment waiting times have always been long and are getting much worse in our area of East Sussex where over 22 weeks seems to be the norm.

There are of course plenty of private physio's

• Posted

i have phoned the consultant's secretary. I've left two voicemails with my full details but nobody has called me back in over a week.

• Posted

I've made a couple of enquiries locally about private physio treatment. The initial consultation ranges from £55 - £75, the 1/2hr sessions thereafter are about £40 - £60 depending on what treatment is needed and for how long. We just dont have that kind of money as my partner has been off sick with no pay for last six months having had a heart attack and had to wait four months for surgery, now he's recovering from quad bypass. The pharmaceutical industry must be laughing all the way to the bank, instead of real treatment, people just get pills thrown at them.

• Posted

I waited about 16 months to get my aortic valve replaced. When chasing up the hospital to do the surgery I found that my referral from the local hospital who had done the initial tests had not been sent. They then said the registrar was a bit behind with his paperwork then I found that he was on a months holiday..

• Posted

Loxie it would be helpful to know which region you live in as physio is a postcode lottery. I would echo Linda's advice though. Try PALS and keep pestering the consultant's secretary until you get hold of her. It may prove to be an admin error. Failing all this can you ask your GP practice if your doctor has received a clinic letter from the consultant detailing his recommendations. I'd be amazed if they haven't. You could also ask your GP to refer you for physio if all else fails. Be tenacious! Keep us posted

• Posted

I went to the GP surgery, they have only received the normal post appointment update letter (which also took a month to get typed and sent). The letter just said 'I think it would be helpful for her to have physio' but I actually saw him tap the request/referral into the computer whilst I was sitting in the consulting room. GP surgery couldnt help.

• Posted

As that was what the letter said I think it would be reasonable for your GP to refer you for physio. Have you considered writing to the consultant? From my experience I've always had a speedy response as they hate to have anything negative across their desks.

• Posted

will try that thanks flatfluff - tapping out a letter right now.

• Posted

In Edinburgh I went to the physiotherapy department and pointed to the expected sign on the wall showing the high number of patients who had not turned up for appointments in the previous month. I said that I'll sit until your next no show and have their appointment. Shock horror ! They said that would not work as your first appointment is a longer one as it is for assessment. Seeing how bolshie I was unsettled them and they said if I went they would see what they could do for me. By the time I got home their was a message on the answering machine offering a choice of appointments that afternoon or first thing the next morning.

Another thing now is that at least in our area they limit the number of appointments you can have to eight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.