Physio after almost 8 weeks post op

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm almost 8 weeks post PKR on my right knee and even though I've not done much exercise as I wanted to due to hurting myself I can get my knee to a 95° angle and I can do new exercises and walk unaided at home my therapist is happy with the progress and said I can go to just the one stick when I go out and about they did say my one muscle still needs a bit of work though as in his words it's Laggy but I'm so happy with my progress so far

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon 

so glad you are happy with your progress. Everyone is different and so are everyone's expectations. I thought I would be dancing after three months but now realise my expectations were too high. It's all about the effort you put in but also a bit of luck too. I went overboard on the exercises to avoid scar tissue  in the hope that I would hasten my recovery. Alas that wasn't the case! Your knee heals at its own pace! I am six months exactly now and although I don't now know the numbers my bend must be over 130 and a straight leg so all good there. I walk unaided but my knee does get painful after about 50 minutes. A little rest then on again. So good luck with building up your "laggy"??? Muscles. It looks like that's all you have to do more of the same. 

• Posted

Hey Tricia

Sounds like you've got some of my bend.

Can I have it back when you're finished with it please?

Enjoy!

• Posted

Lol Vic!  I've got the bend but obviously not the stamina. Need some more of that .

• Posted

Tricia

No problem I've got tons of stamina.

You wanna swap?

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply I was also full of high expectations but I was also told my my surgeon minimum of 3 weeks recovery which was an obvious lie I think he said that because he didn't want me to back out of the operation lol I miss walking everywhere but real nervous and anxious about reducing my sticks to just the one but I think I shall just have to see how I go and take it slow

• Posted

Ha ha yes what surgeons tell you and the actual facts!  I was told by three months I would be skipping around ready for anything. The reality is, it takes much longer. At six months I could possibly try skipping now (literally) but I still have some pain 3/10 rising to 7/10 after walking for a while.  You get better month by month until one year when I am told that is as good as you can expect. I too miss walking, 2 years ago, before things got too bad I walked 5 or 6 miles a day. Now I can just about manage 2 miles but hills are still difficult.

I wouldn't worry about getting rid of a stick yet, there are still times when I need one even now. My physio said don't be vain! Use a stick to just take a bit of weight off the knee and it really helps. (I just don't like looking old before my time😊wink

Good luck for a steady recovery.

• Posted

Hmm - probably not. I've worked so hard through so much pain to get the bend, think I'll keep it😊. But I will work on my stamina though. My brain thinks I'm 30 but my body says 60😢

• Posted

Lol I know exactly what you mean I'm almost 43 and having sticks although they have been a blessing they have also been a nightmare they're in the way a lot when Im at home though I just ditch them I can't be bothered with them and have all the confidence to walk without them now it's just the big outdoors part that worries me don't fancy faceplanting the floor somehow

• Posted

Well done Sharon.

Sounds like you are on track.

• Posted

Thanks Vic I'm just happier that I'm moving on forward it has been like taking two steps forward and another 3 back it's just for a change to feel more positive as I have been a little concerned upset and in pain on my journey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.