Physio after Orif

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding physio. I'm 6 weeks post op, have 2 plates and 12 pins in my ankle. I was 3 weeks NWB in cast, just done 3 weeks PWB in walking boot. Am bit confused about when I should see a physio as the doc I saw 3 weeks ago at cast removal told me to remove walking boot few times a day and start moving ankle then in few weeks get physio. So at my next check up on Monday I saw a different doc who told me to go to FWB over the next few weeks then out of walking boot and into a shoe. When I asked about physio he said they wouldn't do that until I was actually walking and told me to make another appointment for 3 months time. Totally confused now as told different things. Am going to call the orthopaedic clinic tomorrow to try to clarify but any info regarding when it's normal to get physio would be much appreciated. I live in Glasgow. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bailey !Surgeon told me that I'm at the worse end of the spectrum regarding ankle breaks. I was in a cast for 3 weeks after surgery, plates and screws. I was then in a split cast at 3 weeks both NWB and started physio . At week 6, I was put in a black air boot partly weight bearing with crutches, most of my weight goes on the crutches and I'm still having physio . I couldn't move my ankle or foot to start with and still get pain, the skin felt very, very tight and I have to do exercises at home to get it moving . I'm coming up post op 7 weeks on Sunday. I think everyone is different and the surgeon should know best . All the best Bailey and speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Hi susan90892

I've been doing some exercises that I found online a few times a day and like you my ankle was very tight and stiff but hopefully as range of movement increases that will ease. I've been moisturising it a lot too as I had really bad fracture blisters and ankle looks a bit of a mess but long as I get it fixed don't really care. At clinic on Monday they were running 90ms late so felt a bit rushed by doc. He seemed really pleased with the way it's healing though which is good and I saw my xrays for the first time and was surprised by the amount of pins in it. To be honest as accident happened during the night and I had surgery early that morning I didn't take in half of what they were telling me. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

• Posted

Glad you have found exercises online. I'm surprised you have'nt had any physio but there is a wealth of info online. I have a lot of swelling and that can take many months to go. My ankle feels really weird. I'm trying to keep positive. All the best with it all Bailey 😄
    • Posted

I was surprised about the physio too especially after everything I read on line kept

Mentioning it. I phoned the ortho clinic this morning just to check I was doing what supposed to. Nurse said not to rush it, get to FWB then if it's too sore to try walking with shoe then go back to boot then try again in few days and Expect to be walking strangely at first. So I'll just keep hobbling along and see how I get on, just don't want to do anything to setback my recovery. Thanks again 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.